Country Pickers, How Are You Dealing With Modern Country

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Wagster, May 25, 2015.

1. Wagster

Wagster Member

I first want to say that I listen and play a lot of different styles and genres. I don't like the latest trend that I'm seeing in my area where rock bands decide to form country bands and play nothing but rock with an occasional modern country tune. These guys are not in the least bit interested in country music past or present. It's become so cheesy that I can't hang with it any longer. I'm doing more tradition and roots based gigs but I'm giving up the higher paying gigs but I feel more fulfilled at the end of the night. Sadly I don't see this trend ending anytime soon. Anyone bail on the modern gigs? Sometimes ya gotta pick ;)

2. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

If you can afford to, then yeah, bail on it. Don't do gigs you don't want to do.

I can't afford to bail on any gig, do I have to go where the money is at.

The club I play at has changed format, to what on paper seems like a good path. 80'-early '00's traditional top 40. Or the last of the "real stuff". Some more traditional modern artists like Easton Corbin, Chris young...

I would love to return to doing the modern top 40 stuff. The place is s ghost town now. What set us apart was that we played everything on the top 40. Now, we're just like every bar band playing Fast as You. I bet if you stick your head out the window at any time on the weekend, you will hear Fast as You.

3. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

The cover band I play with was playing a lot of modern country stuff (Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, Aldean, FL GA Line, etc). Then both are singers (male/female) had to leave so we picked up a singer/guitarist the bassist previously played with and it kind of revamped the setlist. We still play some modern stuff, but more of the 90s and classic stuff and also added some rock (I'm the Only One, Black Velvet, Lights). The vibe has definitely changed and the crowd still likes it and we're gigging steady (band leader is turning stuff down). I'm like you in that I don't really just like one style of music. Just this morning I was listening/playing along to some reggae whereas Sat I was with the cover band and earlier in the day playing with the jazz fusion band. I don't think I play anything great, but I can hang in each scenario.

I've seen other cover bands that are more top 40 doing some of the country stuff. Some do it well and others not so much. Pretty much like most of the stuff they cover. I don't think a lot of them really care in about the past of any "genres" other than maybe the blues guys.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  4. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Haha... we play Fast As You and also Wagon Wheel. I'd say those are probably two of the ones on our list rock/top 40 bands might cover. We do a good job on them though and the crowd likes them.

When we had the male singer we did Chris Young's "Aw Naw" and it would get a so-so response.

We're actually talking about re-adding "Cruise". Nobody really likes it, but it's easy and FL GA Line is pretty big around here. Another one we might be adding is Ed Sheeran's "Thinking Out Loud". Not country, but such a big hit it should fit right in.

5. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Ah...modern country vs traditional. I think there is a place for both. But I think learning traditional country tunes ( refer to Vince Gill's Bakersfield tribute CD) is going to be harder to find players who know these songs. I can do the modern country rock with no problem. Playing old school country ( catching the feel / vibe) is harder IMO. If you are driven by money, modern country is where its at.

6. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

We are a covers act doing about 1/3 classic rock, 1/3 new wave/alternative and 1/3 country. Sounds an awkward mix but not really based on songs, sounds, linkage etc.

We have a female vocalist and already do Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood et al. Truth be told I wouldn't mind doing more modern country but what else is there to cover? Country rap or rap country is uncoverable (thank God) since it's a drum loop, some samples and a couple of complete tossers spewing cliches about trucks, beer and chicks. Think about it...have you ever seen a black rap cover act doing NWA or Run DMC, for example? Whatever you think of hip-hop even the most amateur/amateurish rap act is doing 'original' lyrics but, of course, the beats and samples have always been borrowed.

The timing of country's cycles can't be predicted exactly, but there are definitely cycles in which the so-called new traditionalists come to the fore again. Countrypolitan yielded...Garth Brooks and the hat acts yielded...eventually the Florida-Georgia Line (I retched a little bit just typing those words) and Jason Aldean and any other pretenders will yield.

Musicians know what they like but more importantly WHY they like something...audiences have always been less informed and therefore more fickle. Country fans, it must be said, have a maddening tendency to follow the herd. This makes it doubly difficult for a country musician since something that was an audience favorite last week may quickly fall out of favor.

7. Wagster

Wagster Member

I'm going to cleanse my soul with a handful of gigs this week playing traditional country. We play everything from Hag to Sturgill Simpson. We won't have the 500+ crowds like you get playing the modern/pop stuff but good times will be had. I just needed a break from doing those gigs so I can get back to pickin. When Motley Crüe and Metallica are accepted in country rooms it's time to bail. I like those bands but I wouldn't go to a rock club hoping to hear some twang. I also don't blame anyone for doing those gigs, I just miss chicken pickin and playing western swing ect.

8. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

A brand new modern country song. From a 52 year old man. :aok

southpawshooter likes this.
  9. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I won't listen nor participate in today's country. It's not country and it will pass eventually

Wagster likes this.
  10. 27sauce

Probably a good idea to just not play it.

sanrico likes this.
  11. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I found much more satisfaction in the Texas country aim. Great Divide, Turnpike Troubadours, Cross Canadian Ragweed, etc. there are popular-ish and the content is better. Maybe temper 1 Luke Bryan, Wagon Wheel, Eric Church with a Waylon plus a Red Dirt.

12. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

I hate most modern country. I dont play for a living, and so I've turned down three or four slots in country bands because thats what they play. Tim McGraw, Blake Sheldon, Jason Aldean, Kenny chesney, it all sounds the same... like redneck sonic vomit.

13. 27sauce

Even that stuff has got me burned out. Everyone in town does OK Breakdown, take me out to the dancehall, wave on wave, buy myself a chance, wear my ring, that girl...

I think I need to just take up hvac. Maybe some night classes are in store!

Wagster likes this.
  14. Wagster

Wagster Member

I feel the same way. I'm seeing so many players in my area slamming their way through bad modern country covers. You would think that they would care to at least make it sound good. They are more concerned with how they look than how they sound. It's hard to hang with bands that sound like train wrecks. The crowds don't even care or notice which makes it frustrating. I'm going to do a lot of fishing this summer and hopefully something good will break in the Fall( no pun intended)

15. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Member

Honestly seems like every decade I remember has felt the same way about "modern country." Someone has already referred to the 90s as "classic" in this thread, but I remember plenty of people during the 90s who hated it because it wasn't as authentic as the stuff from the 80s. And so on.

16. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Totally: Alabama was awesome.

tenchijin2 likes this.
  17. 27sauce

Bellamy Brothers...Waylon:eek:

FGL and Luke Bryan of the 70's.

Glen Campbell=Keith urban.

The cheese has always been pretty thick on the top 40

18. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

indeed... modern "country" isn't country beyond the label IMO... remember what Dallas Wayne wrote ... "... and you can kiss my Ozark a~~ ... if that's country."

http://www.dallaswayne.com/Ifcountry_lyrics.htm

19. 27sauce

I think what's unfortunate about today's country is stuff that is pretty bad is considered good because it does'nt sound like today's country.

20. guitarstar2005

guitarstar2005 Member

Today's Country is very familiar to early 90's Hair Metal... The writers are writing what plays, the session players do the same. The sad part is guys are getting gigs because they are 'good enough'. Translation- low pay and disposable.

I personally cant listen to Luke Bryan, FGL or any similar stuff. I also don't mean to offend anyone.

What's funny on a personal level is I started playing 'Twang' 21 years ago, coming from Rock... it was a very humbling experience to try and sound like Jerry or Brent. I worked for years to be passable and now nobody wants it??!?

However to the OP- if you can play 70-80's Rock w/ a Tele- you have a big advantage. These tunes are easy!