Country Rap is a thing now...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Never heard of most of these guys - but thanks to my daughter I have heard of Old Town Road - a collab between Billy Ray Cyrus (Yes...the Dad with the Achy Breaky Heart) and Little Nas X.
    The track just set a record - 18 weeks at #1 - the first single to be at number 1 for that long. It's not bad - But I can't imagine TGPers embracing this.

Bobby D likes this.
  2. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I have a strange fascination with Bollywood Rap - I think it's a carry over from George Harrison.

3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I’m at my nephew’s birthday party right now. My other 16 nephew and his friends are at a table, the radio is playing and Long Tall Sally by little Richard comes on. One of his friends says, “change it, country music sucks.” My nephew replies, “that’s not country, it’s Elvis”.

I didn’t ask what their TGP handles are.

Occam, StanG, A-Bone and 3 others like this.
  4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

Thread is TL;DR after the first 100 posts, but Bubba Sparxxx anyone?? :dunno

:rotflmao

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Yeah, there's a thread about it...

6. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

I hadn't heard it (nor of it) until now...interesting. Anyone else think the chorus sounds a bit like Nickelback's Rockstar?

7. Steve1216

Steve1216 Supporting Member

You have a point. Current country is garbage to begin with. I did adore the old stuff. But it’s long gone.

8. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

It seems like all mainstream music is a "Rap thing" now. :rolleyes:

Not sure how people aren't tired of that same old beat/Rap thing day after day, year after year.

It's a modern day version of boring repetition music...kinda like old-school 12-bar blues boring.
    After you hear 1-2 songs...they all pretty much sound the same...over and over and over...and there ain't even any good lead guitar riffs to break up the monotony. At least 12-bar blues gives you that.

:D

9. FPFL

FPFL Member

I think Old Town Road is a great sign.
    People talk about how divided America is, but I see this as clear proof of the opposite.

Look at all the crossover coverage this song is getting from LA to DC, in Dallas and New York this song is a huge hit with people from all backgrounds.

Cheers to all involved. We've made an openly gay, black man singing a country rap song a sensation. I think it's something to be of proud. This song is a uniter. We need more crossovers, not fewer.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  10. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

Being old enough to have witnessed the desaster punk brought over a healthy, creative and varied music scene in the late 70s, I cant help but getting a strong sense of deja vu here ...
    in some ways we still suffer from that blow.
    it's not about racist / anti-racist BS by any stretch of the imagination, it's about denial of musicianship in my book.
    I love quite a few diverse musical genres, I have fundamental respect for a lot more I don't particularly enjoy myself - punk, rap and their multiple offsprings are different.
    we could argue about certain parts of dance pop as well.
    in most other genres, musicianship in various forms and related skills gets respect, both by the consumers and even more so by the "musicians" creating the records and playing the gigs.
    punk planted the disease of "it's uncool to learn and practice" in the minds of several generations, rap & co mostly ignore concepts like harmony completely - there's the difference.
    big mouths and pretentious video clips are no substitute for me ...
    ymmv,
    Rhino

11. renoman_89502

renoman_89502 Member

Here's my contribution to all this.....Bay Area country rap !!!!
    Music is great …. enjoy it !!!!

12. utterhack

utterhack Member

Posted some Bubba upthread. His 2003 Timbaland-produced Deliverance record is legit. Ironically enough, Stylus Magazine's review described it as "both the hip-hop and country album of the year."

Alex Kenivel likes this.
  13. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I don't understand why adding to the "creative and varied music scene" was a disaster, but I suspect yours is just another "I don't like it so it must be wrong" rant. IMO, punk was a necessary and welcome respite from the banal, over-produced shlock that comprised much of the music of the late-70s. And bands like the Clash, Talking Heads, the Jam, and Blondie certainly proved their worth well beyond the realm of "punk," despite the predictions of those who, like you, dismissed it without putting much effort into actually understanding it. I'd be willing to bet that there are bands that you like today who never would have even formed if punk hadn't happened. But in the end, it doesn't matter; those who choose stagnation over growth are the poorer for it. It's just a bit hypocritical that you celebrate creativity and variety while simultaneously wishing to limit it.

Tidbit likes this.
  14. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

what? no one's ever heard of Kid Rock?

15. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

Only about 5 times in this thread

A-Bone likes this.
  16. utterhack

utterhack Member

hey hey let's not be hasty...

[​IMG]

Crazyquilt and A-Bone like this.
  17. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Well, at least you don’t pretend to be knowledgeable about the topic, just opinionated. Maybe people aren’t “tired” of it because it isn’t actually like you describe it. Not that you would ever make the effort to find out.

18. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I mean, there are large strains of country music that wouldn't exist if poor whites hadn't taken a lot of inspiration (to put it kindly) from black blues and gospel, so I don't see why anyone with more than a passing fancy for American music should be surprised when country stars continue the tradition with hip-hop. For some people, though, I guess country is a part of their heritage that they're very proud of and hence protective of, and so they want to keep it pure.

19. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Regardless of whether they are urban African-Americans or disenfranchised British youth, it's still about devaluing and disrespecting the art, expression, and creativity of one group while holding another's as superior. Just because one's prejudice isn't racial doesn't make it inoffensive.

Tidbit and FiestaRed like this.
  20. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.