1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Country riffs.

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Jerad, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Jerad

Jerad Member

I am looking for some real good country riffs. Like maybe some tabs or videos of Brent Mason, Pete Anderson, etc. Does anyone know of any websites that would be cool to look at for this?
    I found http://tinpan.fortunecity.com/melody/73/tab.html, which has a lot of cool stuff, but I am just looking for more.
    Also, I am looking for some good dobro riffs. Thanks.

2. KHK

KHK Silver Supporting Member

Here are a slew of little country riffs. Unfortunately no tabs so you'll have to do it the old fashioned way:D

Country riffs

Click on Pork Chops to get to the riffs page

3. SOcular

SOcular Member

Grew up in South Georgia, live in Atlanta now, but
    Try the "Hot Country" book by Lee Hodgson. It's not free, but it is pretty comprehensive and is good with both basic theory and good licks. It also comes with a good CD.

Having said that, there's no substitute for listening to Don Rich recordings ad nauseum. I'd also recommend checking out trucker songs from the sixties and seventies. They have compilations on sale on Amazon, Circuit City, etc. Especially Dave Dudley, Dick Curless, Ferlin Husky, and others. Some seriously greasy riffs.

And then there's Luther Perkins, who is in a league of his own.

Also, check out finger-style acoustic a la Mississippi John Hurt and Elizabeth Cotton, Merle Travis and then try adapting that to a Tele. You'll be on your way.

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

or you could go watch junior brown live and learn steel guitar and country licks... he is kick ass to me !!!

5. LithiumLulu

LithiumLulu Guest

I found this when my band wanted to do a Patsy Cline cover. There isn't much tab and what is there is "net tab" but it's better than nothing and it's free.

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/index.html

I hope it helps. :)

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I'd be interested in some tabbed out country electric licks too.
    I think I've got that ricochet sound down pretty good now but would like to see some other tricks. All the licks I've figured out I did by tediously re-playing the CD and scribbling down my tabbed out guesses. I can play very quickly but these country runs are not coming as naturally as I would like. I guess the trick is to learn as many as you can and eventually one day it will click and you'll know how to play a solo with them all. Haha!!

7. Tinman

Tinman Member

I bought a CD course from Truefire.com called Twang U. that I think is excellent. Very comprehensive, but not free.

8. emjee

emjee Member

check out Pete Vogl's site. Kick ass licks w/tab and shows you how via a video clip. excellent.

9. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

cant find it.....

10. emjee

emjee Member

11. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

Check out Redd Volkaert's site http://www.reddvolkaert.net/ and click on the link called Pork Chops. Great licks to learn. He's one of my favorite tele twangers. Get his album Telewacker on iTunes and learn some of those licks too. For licks off albums you might want to get yourself the Amazing Slow Downer (Mac or PC shareware) so you can slow stuff down and learn it in chunks. I love that program and use it for anything fast - it is amazing. Also some very cool free country licks at http://www.tallstrom.com/

12. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

What is Redd's best album?

13. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

Jerry Douglas is "first call" for dobro/resonator stuff. His main gig is with Allison Krauss but he's been doing other stuff too lately. This is a recent lesson he did for Guitar Player magazine. Give some of these a whirl...

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=7&storycode=8097