Country Tone Versus Rock Tone

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Echoes, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

At work, one group of guys listen to classic and hard rock all day...and another group listen to the new rocked-out version of country music.

I am a rock player mostly, and I don't really like country music at all...but I have noticed that overall the country pickers have much better guitar tone than the rock players...the new breed of country rockers are bringin' the tone love...

do you agree or disagree?

2. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I went from playing rock to playing country and didn't change a thing in my rig.

3. wooldl

wooldl Member

I agree.

If we could just listen to the pickers and omit the insultingly stupid lyrics, i.e - tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit'.....I'd be a happy camper. :)

4. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

yea, I think there are a lot of gigging rock guys having to play country because it's what is hot and pays the bills....I know a few guys doing this very thing...

but, every time I walk past the guys listening to country I think "man, that song sucks but the guitar player has it going on ..."

maybe there isn't any difference but the guitar player's tone stands out more because the song sucks (IMO)...

remember, I personally don't like country so no offense to those who do ...

now, the rock station has various versions of 'white noise' (think Boston's mid heavy can of bees) ... with some great tone here and there (think very early Heart)

5. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

exactly! :beer

we laugh about the incredible STEW-PID country lyrics every day! amazing amount of pick up trucks, drunk idiots with loose girlfriends etc...

6. 27sauce

27sauce Member

It scares me how much of the population relates to these songs.

7. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I was actually raised on country and it was my first "thing". I tried to get as far away from it in the early 90's. I wound up working on a few country albums and all of the sudden the phone started ringing. I'm a country player now!

8. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

most popular music in the world I heard...is that right? I know it is infinitely easier to get a country gig than a steady paying rock gig...

9. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

well, you got one song with a girl shaking her ass on top a tractor....then there's the 'red solo cup' song :facepalm

but hey, they have GREAT guitar tone :dunno

10. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

the "new country" music is not in fact, country music...not to people who are actual country music fans anyway or to people that have made a living playing it.

It's a sad day for what used to be a good genre of music, here's to hoping it makes a come-back

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator and Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

I play both in different bands - use the same tones. Works fine.

12. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Hey, maybe it's so popular because of the guitar tone. Maybe the general public really does care about tone after all and it isn't really the song and the vocals that are most important.

Nah, what am I thinking? :jo

13. c_mac

c_mac Member

Current country guitar tone IS rock tone. Gone are the days of a Tele through a Fender amp. Granted, there are a few guys still doing some twangy stuff but overall the genre can easily be covered with a Les Paul and Marshall, actually that's probably a much better fit tone-wise these days.

I grew up on country music so I'm very sad to see where it is right now. I truly feel like country music is in it's "hair metal" phase at the moment. In 10 years we are all gonna look back at acts like Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, etc. and think about how ridiculous and contrived it all was. Maybe Seattle could come save the day again with some new badass country artists, haha!

Oh, and I'm 30 and love hard rock and metal as well so it's not like I'm some old guy wishing for the days of Marty Robbins and Lefty Frizzell.

14. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

I get a laugh when the rockers attempt to play a straight up country tune with real country picking. It's not a pretty sight.

15. saneff

saneff Silver Supporting Member

Right now, I think Kurt Allison - lead guitar player in Jason Aldean's band and part of The Three Kings as well - is the guy that's bringing the tone right now. Some of Aldean's songs...well you just ahve to ignore the lyrics and listen to the band's playing. Good melodies and tones, but some of the lyirics are just absolutely ridiculous. Kurt Allison is a fantastic player and has a great rock tone dialed in. Examples below.

But certainly, when you talk country music and tone it begins and really ends with Keith Urban. IMO nobody is playing guitar better and with better tones than Urban right now.

16. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well, country guitarist always had the best tone, going back to Bob Dunn, but in this era when country includes Eric Chruch's "The Outsiders," is there really any difference between country guitar tone and rock guitar tone? I mean it's not like the difference between Don Rich and Jimi Hendrix in 1968 anymore.

17. saneff

saneff Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I think now you can just tell the difference between rock and country by if you hear the word "truck" or not.

18. Multicellular

Multicellular Member

I was raised on old country, bluegrass, hip hop, and metal. This new country is just rock with a southern accent, and as others have noted, vapid lyrics. Dont know why you'd need a different guitar sound at all.

19. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Been listening to Ryan Bingham's "Roadhouse Sun" and "Mescalito" a lot lately. Just brilliant albums. Supposedly 'country' but half the songs could pass for Zeppelin. And the guitar tones are just amazing.

Not quite sure where to pigeonhole guys like Bingham. He doesn't have that "PRS plugged into a Mesa" guitar sound that permeates today's country radio but it's not twangy Teles either. Probably the reason the only station I've ever heard play his music is Dallas/Fort Worth's incredible awesome http://www.959theranch.com

20. leftty

leftty Member

I would not consider it sad, just a new genre of country music. I mean rock is rock but over the years is has evolved into various genres, like prog rock, pop rock, heavy metal and many others. Country music is now experiencing that. Just like some people like certain rock music, some like different country music.