County Guitar Pickers what amp and pedal you using

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by woodylong, Apr 18, 2015.

1. woodylong

woodylong Supporting Member

I'm shopping for amp that I can get some good clean tones and cut through the mix in county band. I would like to keep the price $800 tops. I have been looking at Fender hotrod series.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The Hot Rod Fenders will be loud, but might not cut through like you want. Deluxe Reverb (RI) is a nice choice as well.
    Modern country actually tends toward the Vox tones (think B. Paisley's Dr Z)

3. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

A used Deluxe Reverb is in your budget. That's what I would get if I was limited to $800. I have a few amps, but am using a Deluxe Reverb head now.

4. c_mac

c_mac Member

I bought my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia for $850 used. I use a Barber Tone Press, Carl Martin AC-Tone, SD Deja Vu Delay, and an EH Holy Grail Reverb. I have a few other pedals but those are main ones I've used for the country bands I've played with.

5. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

I am using a Kustom '36 Coupe (6L6 and 12AX7) loaded with JJ's. I use a Keeley modded Compressor, a Barber Direct Drive for light drive, a Wampler Sovereign for heavier drive, a Flashback x 4 delay, and a Boss Feedbacker for lead boost. This rig covers a LOT of ground in today's country.

A Fender Tele "Esquire", a Les Paul, and an Ibanez Roadstar II are the weapons of choice.

6. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

I'm not in a "country" band per se, but we do play some country-sounding songs and I get a lot of country-influenced tones.

I actually like using my Vox modelling amp. I like it because it can get models of lightly overdriven Fender amps as well as a great-sounding AC30 model. I get Fendery twang and Voxy twang for different songs.

I also use it with a BOSS multifx pedal with a compressor/sustainer. With four parameters on that compressor it gives me a lot of versatility.

7. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Used a HR for many years, you could also get a Silverface for that price range. I think the HR Deluxe has great cleans to build on.

8. sanrico

sanrico Member

Wouldn't an HRD cut through more than a DRRI? I've had both and while I prefer the DRRI any possible day of the week, the HRD was a VERY loud amp. It's running 40 watts and can take your eardrums out. I personally hated it for anything overdriven, but the clean sound was usable.

9. Road King

Road King Supporting Member

Just like ol BadAssBill above me here, I used the HR Deluxe for a lot of years with great success. There are some really great clean tones in them. For pedals (essentials only) mine are a good compressor, delay, and a couple of OD's. My favorite two are the Metal Pedals Pro Country and the Option 5 Destination Overdrive. Also really like the Eden Nashville Boost.

10. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

I'm using a VVT Lindy Fralin with 1x15, Origin Effects Sliderig(sometimes swap for Xotic SP comp on a pedaltrain mini for smaller gigs), Wampler Brent Mason V2, Wampler Sovereign.

For 800 bucks you can get all kinds of great clean amps. Throw a good comp and a drive pedal or two in front and you're done!

11. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

12. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I played a country gig tonight. I used a Zinky Blue Velvet.

13. Chris63

Chris63 Silver Supporting Member

I use a Bogner Goldfinger, but we rock the country.

14. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I don't disagree. They are loud. I gigged with a outlaw country band. Singer used a Blues Deluxe and I used either a Maz Jr or SF Princeton. He was loud but sunk into the mix. My Princeton had a sparkly cut that sat on top when needed. The Maz was just... Well, if the OP can swing it- would be a great choice.

15. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

+1, On the Kustom '36 Coupe. I also had a '72 Hardtop, with Tremolo. But, they even MIC'ed the drums for home practice, so the '36 Coupe was loud enough. I always use a Zoom MFX pedal for Tape Echo, Chorus, Compression and Tremolo. I'm now playing Rockabilly and Modern Praise at a lower volume, and have switched to a Vox TB18C1.

16. woodylong

woodylong Supporting Member

Some good info here

17. Bonedog

Bonedog Member

The new 68 silver face Princeton is the way to go. Country tones for days, just a tele straight in. Don't question it, just go get one!

18. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

You need 2 things. A blackface Princeton/deluxe/vibrolux and a TELE.

19. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I use a BF Bassman, but think the Vibrolux Reverb is just about the perfect gigging amp. Big enough(*), small enough, more muscular than a DR at lower volumes.

I have been preaching the Zvex Box of Rock and distortron for years, and have seen them on quite a few pro boards in the last few years. The most useable/realistic dirt i've heard. I just leave it on most of the time and use my guitar volume. So cool even lil joe uses one. The boost is great, too.

20. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I recently started playing in a red dirt band and am using my Fender Prosonic combo....on the drive channel. I've got the gain on about 1 1/2 - 2 and use my guitar's volume to clean up. Occasionally I'll go to the clean channel, but not very much. Works very well.