Couple of Issues with My New ES-339

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Taylor 339, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

Hey guys,

First post but I have been lurking for a while trying to get educated so go easy on me. First let me say that I recently started playing again, taking lessons, etc. so I'm not a pro. Picked up a Taylor accoustic/electric for Christmas and it wasn't long before I was GASing for an electric. After some research here and other places, I picked up a new ES-339 (Vintage Burst) 30/60 neck today. It was still in the sealed Gibson box.

Good News: The finish looks outstanding. No flaws that I can find. Sounds great. Just what I expected from what I have read here.

Bad News: After I got it home I noticed one of tone knobs is very loose. So loose, it almost falls off by itself. Secondly, when I unplugged it, the nut around the input jack was a little loose. I tightened it with my fingers but I don't know if it will stay tight.

I called the sales guy and alerted him about what I found. I'm taking it back tomorrow for him to take a look. On Wednesday, I have a fellow church member who is an accomplished player and currently owns an expensive custom made to give it the once over.

Is it possible that it's just a bad knob and can be replaced or could the post be the problem? I was surprised that it's only held on with friction and not a set screw of anything.

And what about the jack issue?

I really hope these are minor issues that can easily be fixed because I really want to keep this one since the finish is perfect. I was set on the Caramel Burst, but seeing the Vintage in person, I changed my mind.

Thanks for your input. Looking forward to being a part of the community.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. Bluesjam

Bluesjam Member

All of those can be fixed, keep up the faith.

3. magnido45

magnido45 Member

Perhaps the tone knob just needs to be pushed further into the post?
    The nut around the input jack just needs to be tightened...use a wrench.

4. pitner

pitner Member

Minor stuff don't sweat the small stuff. I'm loving my Es339 from Christmas 2007. Christmas 2008 was a Gretsch Duo Jet so the Gibson is temp out of a job.

5. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

Sooooper easy stuff to fix. A couple of nuts are loose. Pop the knobs, tighten 'em up and you're on your way.

GAD

6. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

Thanks for responses. They are very encouraging.

Just so I understand, the fix for the knob would be to tighten the nut that holds the post that holds the knob?

7. Bhodie

Bhodie Supporting Member

If you take the knob off, look inside the knob to make sure there is nothing broken inside the knob.. should be a nice tight "serrated" circle in there with no breaks. If that is good, there should be a little "gap" in the top of the post the knob sets on.. use a flat blade screwdriver and spread the top apart a little bit and try the knob.. should do the trick..

8. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

I think the post is the problem. Thanks for your help.

9. Bhodie

Bhodie Supporting Member

no problem.. most posts have either a little external screw (like the telecasters) that holds them to the solid post, or are a "friction" fit over the spread posts with serrated edges...

10. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

wow ... are u me ?

11. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Looks like an easy fix. U should go for the Red colour - totally mouth watering :D haha- congrats on your new guitar.

12. Jura

Jura Member

:jo
    Do you know how to use a wrench?

13. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

Actually, I do. But if I slip and scratch it, it's mine. If the guy I bought it from does, it will be for sale at GC scratch and dent. Taking it back to him this morning.

14. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Minor issues, but seriously they shouldn't exist, its a $1500+ guitar.

15. Redfish

Redfish Member

Come on dude. You're going to drive who knows how far to take it to a guy who is almost sure to ding it up instead of spending 5 seconds doing it yourself? Who's going to take better care of your guitar, you or some kid who's dad won't let him touch his tools at home. I agree that the guitar shouldn't come like that but welcome to planet earth.

16. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

1/2" wrench to tighten the output jack nut.
    Take the loose knob off and there should be a split shaft pot.
    Insert a small screw driver in between the split shaft and ever so lightly open the shaft a bit.Don't use too much pressure as the split shaft's are easy to break.Then put the knob back on.
    There ya go.Do this and enjoy playing your 339.:BEER

17. drewl

drewl Member

Yeah, no offense dude, but like my 4yr old could do it.
    Just take your time, be careful, put a rag around the area to avoid a scratch or ding.
    Try and reach into the guitar and hold the pot while you tighten the nut.
    Gibson knobs don't have a set screw, they fit over the split shaft which is serrated.
    CAREFULLY spread apart the shaft-SLOWLY-with very little pressure with something small like a nail file, or thin knife or tool- or put tape over it and put the knob on if you don't trust yourself with tools.

18. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

Those two issues are taken care of. Now the latest:

1. Noticed the PUPs have some movement in them. Not a lot but you can definately see and feel them moving side to side.

2. The high E string has slipped off the fret board a couple times while making a D chord at the 3rd fret.

3. G string sounds kinda buzzy when played open and not plugged in. (Fender Hot Rod Blues Jr. NOS on order)

Should I return it or are these things repairable? The salesman at GC took care of the knob and jack nut, but I think he's done everything he can for it. Do I keep it and take it to a professional for set up?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  19. m@2

m@2 Supporting Member

those sound like set up issues (may need to file the nut). generally not a big deal. if u like the guitar, i'd get it set up.

20. magnido45

magnido45 Member

yes, I HIGHLY recommend having a professional setup for your guitar...even if it's brand new...this ensures that you will have a guitar that will play and sound its best. Some new guitars will need the nut filed, frets leveled, etc...a pro tech can check for all of that.
    Until you learn how to do the setup yourself, a professional should do it. After you get the 339 back (and you are satisfied with how it's been adjusted)...take note of the new specs (pickup height, action, etc.)...so if you ever try tweaking it in the future to adjust with your playing style, you can have a reference point to work with.