couple of new pedals on the board ...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dave s, Oct 15, 2005.

1. dave s

dave s Member

first, let me say that if there is a more difficult amp to match pedals with than my mid-90s matchless clubman, I've not owned one or played though one.

Anyway, I've been looking for a smoother overdrive and a boost pedal for awhile, had some extra $$ due to a recent sale so I've been buying, swapping, horse-trading to find something that works better than my Carl Martin Hot-Drive 'n Boost.

Boost - ZVex SHO. I'm impressed. Lot's of volume boost on tap and not a lot of ugly clipping going on. Pedal is a little, wait ... let me be honest here ... a LOT noisy! But definitely delivers as advertised--'takes your own sound and makes it bigger.'

Nice pedal. Probably a keeper.

Fulltone OCD - I'm finally figuring out that OD pedals clip in a sawtooth manner. The OCD has razor sharp teeth. Not what I'm looking for. The Clubman already has sort of a sharp edge to its tone and delivery so adding an OD pedal that has a similar sharpness to its clipping is not what I needed.

Anybody know of a decent OD that clips a little more smoothly than and OCD? Just glad I bought this one used!

thanks,

dave

2. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Try the MI Tube Zone. More tone control, and a smoother OD.

3. Fernando

Fernando Member

I love my Tube Zone. You can get medium drive tones as well as really high gain stuff. The best thing for me about the Tube Zone is that even in the high gain area (whicjh is what I use it for) It sounds real smooth.

4. dave s

dave s Member

thanks Fernando and Mapleneck. Went to the tube zone website and listened to the clips. Now, if I could play like the guy who made the clip, I'm not sure it would matter what pedal was on my board! :(

Think I'm going to try one. thanks for the recommendation.

dave

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

Xotic BB preamp, more of a distortion than an O/D but there is no hint of fizz or rasp to be found it is as smooth as smooth can be.

6. mockoman

mockoman Member

Also,look into the Zendrive.Search the board here,lots of comments.

7. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I love my OCD. Have you tried a Klon?

8. Fernando

Fernando Member

Dave, reviewing the posts on this thread, I might have given you the wrong impression. Although the Tube Zone is indeed smooth, it is a very high gain pedal. You can tweak it for a medium drive tone, but it is essencially high gain.

Since you want both an OD and a booster, maybe you should give Mr. Paul Cochrane a call. I hear nothing but good things on both the TIM and the Timmy. Although I have never owned one, it might be what you're looking for. I'm on the waiting list for one.

9. brent

brent Member

Dave-

I've been following your search, forgive me if this sounds like a low brow solution, Have you tried a plain old unmodded Boss SD-1? or for a little more compression a DS-1 with the gain off/level maxed? Both are fairly dark in character (leads o then considered 'muddy' by some) which I think is why so many go for the modded versions. Personally I like stock SD-1 into my Flexi for a slight solo boost and rounding of the tone.

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Hey, I know that amp Dave. :D

Low end - Tech 21 Double Drive. Seriously.

Higher end - Xotic AC or BB. Very seriously.

You had a TIM I think. If not, Tim or Timmy would be a slight bit raspy with it, but I'd try them in combination especially with the Xotic pedals.

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

My Trainwreck Rocket clone, although an amazing sounding amp, has been almost impossible to match a good pedal to. I've tried many...... Very odd, methinks.....:confused:

jon

12. dave s

dave s Member

bluesdoc:

thanks for the TIM/TIMMY advice. Had a TIM on the board, but its another pedal that adds a lot of presence and crisp high-end. Again, the matchless already has this in spades, and the result of a pedal like the TIM just puts the presence aspect way over the top for me. Looking for something smoother and darker, I'd guess.

thanks again,

dave

13. dave s

dave s Member

Brent,

I had both the A'man and a Keeley DS-1. Both worked incredibly well with my JCM800 rig in total clean mode to provide great medium to high-gain rhythm tones. Same thing--they just don't sound 'right' with the clubman rig.

Still have the Keeley DS-1 and it's on Bry's board which he uses with the JCM800 rig when he plays. Great pedal ... just not with the matchless!

dave

14. dave s

dave s Member

Hey Scott,

thanks for the suggestions. Did you actually use the Tech 21 Double Drive on one of your Clubman rigs? If so, I'll take your word for it and pick one up. Think I saw someone had one here at the pedals emporium for a good price.

If you say it'll work with my amp, that's good enough for me.

dave

15. dave s

dave s Member

I'd love to try a Klon, but can't seem to swallow hard enough to pay Klon-like money for a pedal!

thanks,

dave

16. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Either that or a TS-9 or Bad Monkey. All three sound dark and smooth compared to an OCD.