Couple of questions on gold hardware care/nitro scratch removal

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LocustXReign, Jun 13, 2008.

1. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Ok so I believe I have 4 nitro finished guitars at this point, and my three main guitars all have gold hardware as well; soooo how does one go about cleaning gold hardware, and keeping nitro in good shape.

I have severely acidic skin, and I don't dig the relic thing haha. I want my guitars to age gracefully, not quickly.

I'd also like to buff out some light pick scratches (very very very light) out of my new les paul classic customs finish if possible; any advice?

THANKS DUDES!

-Dave B

2. Rich

Rich Member

My experience only. Some other guys may differ.

DO NOT use any sort of "metal polish" on gold unless you use a small dab with the absolute lighest touch possible with a very soft rag. Dont go rubbing and buffing. Ive had lousy experience with product like Maas, Mothers and the like. They have abrasives in them and the gold plating builders use is so thin that the slightest bit of overdo will get you right down to the base metal. I thought I was being very cautious with some PRS gold pup covers and still would up adding some fineline scratches in spoits & blowing thru in others. Similar potential problem but less severe with other platings.

For general gold cleanup, I use Trick guitar polish. It actually made for wood but can also do metal and does the job well on basic grime and hazing. Again, still use caution as the simple act of rubbing itself has some effect on that plating top coat.

Always better to start slow and work your way up. Kind of like foreplay...

3. Rich

Rich Member

On the wood scratches & swipes, Ive use Meguiars with good success. I know that there's other stuff out there as well.

If your LP Classic Custom is black -- why even bother. You'll likely wind up with polishing swirl and besides, the next time you even look at it another scratch'll appear. They do it on purpose I think.

4. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

+1000 on not to use any metal polish on gold hardware. Most gold guitar parts have very thin plating. That's why they tarnish and wear so easily.

Try a light guitar polish with a soft cloth, but if the plating is gone, it's gone.

5. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

The gold finish on newer (last 10 years or so) Gibsons holds up a lot better inasfar as tarnishing and coming off goes.

I would only wipe it down with a soft cloth and hot breath for longest preservation.

6. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

Go to one of the jewelry store at your local mall. They will have a treated jewelry cleaning cloth. It is non-abrasive and it works like a charm...

Jamie