Cover Band Fill In Guys, "I can't wait till this song is over"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Baminated, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

I'm talking about either while you're shedding them at home playing along or on the gig .

2. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

I've had to use subs in the past and I hate doing it. The main reason I will not sub for anyone unless it's for a great charity.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I've never felt that way unless the band and/or gig sucked... And I've been in both situations before.

4. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I like the music

The money is good

I like the people/players

If I get 2 out of 3 I'm good…

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

If the band's good, the most overplayed, 3 chorder will be a joy to play.

6. flatnine

flatnine Supporting Member

I would rather play than do anything else for a living so gimme a set list and lets go!

7. stratplayer17

stratplayer17 Member

Wow, pretty much nails it for me as far as cover/sub work.

8. Baminated

Baminated Member

I used to believe that, but the repertoire wears on me after several months regardless of players. It comes down to the actual songs themselves for me in which there is guaranteed dance ability with serious groove tunes &/ or combinations of melodic, rhythmic, or harmonic sophistication.

Even after playing with great players, I still got wore down, and this is after I would play those tunes and all possible close inversion triads across the string sets up & down the neck , rhythmic displacement, polyrhythms, montunos, etc

In semi retirement from that now & happier with a day gig that will finance playing more progressive music constructs.

I just started a few pick up gigs w/day gig being slow, and in going over the tunes, I look at the time hoping it will end soon

9. stevel

stevel Member

Only when I'm on stage, and a song clears the dance floor, and I'm thinking "we need to get out of this tune".

Otherwise when I agreed to take on the job, I did so with full knowledge that I may not like some of the material, some of the players, some of the venues, some of the pay, and so on. Nothing is ever perfect but by accepting the job I'm agreeing to play the gig(s). If there's something I don't like, I look for the things I do like. As long as the likes outweigh the dislikes, I'm fine.

10. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

My thinking is that the more often I play (really gig) a song, or a set of songs, or a night of songs, the easier it gets. Less stress, more fun. If I'm busy with a single band, any prep work is minimal, so at the gigs, I can just have fun, and make money doing it. And the more I play, and the better I know, any particular song, the more I can make it interesting for myself as I play it.

The problems (for me) start when any one band with which I'm playing is not very busy. I play in 3 bands, but I just went through a pretty decent lull period with all 3. Now they are all ramping up again. Two gigs last weekend, and about 9 or so among all three happening over the next 6 weeks. So I've got to learn new songs, re-learn old ones, re-memorize lyrics, and keep doing my too stressful right now day job.

So, in the end, I think I'm happier playing the same old songs on a very regular basis, with a new one thrown in the mix every couple of gigs. Low stress, high fun.