Cover Band Flops

BigBadOrange

Inspired by the 50 songs you should know thread. What tunes has your cover band attempted to put into a show that was a COMPLETE Flop?

Two of mine (in hard rock/metal bands)
Hooligans Holiday (Motley Crue with John Corabi) This was a FLOP at a very-motley crue friendly venue.

Iron Maiden "coming home" as an Iron Maiden Tribute Band. ROCKING crowd all but dissapeared when we played this one, thank goodness they came back once the song was over. This one was particularly jaw dropping to see dance floor packed go to ZERO in about 2 minutes, lol.

Scafeets

When According To You by Orianthi came out, we thought it would be swell to add it to the repertoire. It was charted on Billboard and doing well on the radio, so why not?
We have a male and female lead singer and we're playing a rowdy county-line bar (dry county ten feet away). We were getting a positive reaction all night from the 250+ in the crowd, so we did it.
Crickets........
They place transformed from a rowdy, fun-loving crowd into a wake.
The male singer turned to the band and said "Sweet Home -Now!"
Turned to the audience and said, "That was a new one -- I promise we'll never play that song again."
Place erupts into wild cheers as we start Sweet Freakin' Home Alabama....

We worked up “We Will Rock You” one year for this big local weekend. You could tell a few seconds in nobody in the crowd wanted anything to do with it but we had to finish. This was maybe ten years ago.
Tried it again more recently and it got a warmer reception.

BigBadOrange

We worked up “We Will Rock You” one year for this big local weekend. You could tell a few seconds in nobody in the crowd wanted anything to do with it but we had to finish. This was maybe ten years ago.
Tried it again more recently and it got a warmer reception.
Oh man you got me on the "you could tell a few seconds in....." but you HAVE to finish. lol, I will NEVER forget THAT feeling.

Funky54

SONG FLOP : I was in a band that really worked out Broken Arrow. It was very polished, we nailed it....crickets, followed with Hang On Sloopy and the place went nuts. It was internally infuriating.

BAND FLOP: Was in a short term band with some guys. It was really just a project to play a single gig followed by a wedding. 4 practices in and people I didn’t know showed at my house to replace people already jamming with us.. no band discussion, drummer just behind the scenes made some decisions. Secretly he’s calling me saying we need to replace the lead guitar, he’s calling the lead guitar saying the bass has got to go and one of the guys who came to my house was to replace me....

As nuts as that is... we still practiced and decided to do the two gigs. A few weeks later, the night before the first gig, the drummer got furious with us and told us we weren’t taking this serious and that we needed to quit our jobs. He starts telling us he has connections and that we’re only going to make it if we quit our jobs.

We played the first gig and non of us ever spoke to each other again.

stevel

This is what happens when you do music you like, but that people don't care for.

You want things not to flop, do songs with "universal appeal". Though in my experience, most musicians have no clue what that is (as evidenced here on TGP and elsewhere in any "what goes over well" threads consisting of songs that never go over well).

smallbutmighty

Supporting Member
Iron Maiden "coming home" as an Iron Maiden Tribute Band. ROCKING crowd all but dissapeared when we played this one, thank goodness they came back once the song was over. This one was particularly jaw dropping to see dance floor packed go to ZERO in about 2 minutes, lol.
LOL. My Scorps trib played with the Iron Maidens once, and they played Alexander the Great.

At first everybody was like "wow...didn't expect this". By minute six everyone was playing Candy Crush on their phones.

WornFrets

Supporting Member
A few recent ones that come to mind:
  • Be Faithful (Fatman Scoop), though I think we didn't do the ideal portion of the song
  • Sexy Bitch (David Guetta / Akon)

Rumors of War

Supporting Member
When According To You by Orianthi came out, we thought it would be swell to add it to the repertoire. It was charted on Billboard and doing well on the radio, so why not?
We have a male and female lead singer and we're playing a rowdy county-line bar (dry county ten feet away). We were getting a positive reaction all night from the 250+ in the crowd, so we did it.
Crickets........
They place transformed from a rowdy, fun-loving crowd into a wake.
The male singer turned to the band and said "Sweet Home -Now!"
Turned to the audience and said, "That was a new one -- I promise we'll never play that song again."
Place erupts into wild cheers as we start Sweet Freakin' Home Alabama....
Ugh

Trending Topics