Cover Band Flops

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BigBadOrange, Jun 19, 2019.

1. data_null

data_null Member

I'm not a Rush fan at all, and I'm only familiar with the few songs I hear on classic rock stations (basically the ones you mentioned). But my band does Closer to the Heart and people are always into it. I was certain that song would be a total flop live.

Mayor McCheese likes this.
  2. Dashface

Dashface Member

I hate it when we decide to do a tune and nobody cares. It’s the worst. Our bassist wanted to do Miss You and we figured why not? Had a big crowd of people dancing and thought it would keep everyone grooving... Nope.

Mind you, when it was my turn to choose I suggested out of left field that we do I Can’t Dance... And that one has been a huge hit with the crowd ever since ha ha. Go figure.

3. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

Not much of a surprise to hear that 25+ years after those three bands’ heydays there’s few people interested in hearing local bar or small club bands cover their tunes. I don’t know about Toto but @ this time it’d seem the only audience for (the actual) Foreigner & Loverboy would be those who attend concerts that feature 3 or 4 once-very popular rock groups, and each band plays about an hour set that’s consists mostly or solely of their greatest hits.

Mickey Shane likes this.
  4. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt

We even did a version where we came back to the ...chorus? .. 3x to make it flow better. The crowd was mostly 30s and loving the 90s rock, we pushed it just a little to far

5. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I was in a bar band who played classic biker rock style music. One night the crowd was just not into it from the start.
    So we played "Dirty deeds done dirt cheap" and I was on vocals, but I decided to sing it in the voice of Bobcat Goldthwaite, which I was very good at. So the whole time, they crowd just stared at us with this WTF look. We thought it was great, but it was just a flop.

Whatevs.

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

We've got a busy dance floor with "Breakdown" from Petty -- it's steamy and grindy, lots of dirty dancing. Next song on the list was the bandleader's baby, "Low" from Cracker. Someone may as well have dropped a deuce in the middle of the dance floor -- wasn't anyone about to go near it.

The bandleader insisted on keeping it in our sets. We experimented with its placement in the setlist, and there were some songs it worked decently with (early Beatles, some Smithereens), so it stayed. But I will always remember it as the song that just ruined a great party.

goodertone likes this.
  7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Seems like there are some songs that maybe it just wasn’t “their night” in all of this discussion, I’ve mentioned it a few times, that might have been better received sandwiched between other songs, or with a different crowd, or different set.

It’s really tricky sometimes, but then you also have songs that just don’t make it no matter what.
    Seems to me like if one doesn’t have an “aha” moment later about why a new song didn’t work, maybe try it again.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

It's been my experience that crowds can be pretty unique depending on the venue. Some places draw all sorts of folks and what sort of audience you're going to get is a crapshoot. Other places have their regular crew and those are easier to read for that reason. That doesn't count the band's energy, how long the audience has been drinking before you go on, and other variables that I think are a factor in this.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  9. Telejester

Telejester Member

Hungry for heaven (Dio) lots of huh faces in the crowd and it went down like a piano pushed off a skyscraper roof.

10. Brutus

Brutus Member

WAY back in the day, Gimme Some Lovin’ never got past two shots at it in rehearsals. It flopped right there. That song has a drive to it, but apparently none of us had a license. We just couldn’t make it work.

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Again, at some point 'they' are ready to dance and at some point 'they' are ready to quit. A fickle bunch, to be sure.
    If you have the stuff to lead a crowd from dull to spirited:bow
    The good ones do.

12. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

On the stage you have to read the room and change the songs around to keep the crowd enthused as you go through the set list. You can never tell what will go over on a given night. If the crowd is dancing to song x, try to follow it up with something similar. If the crowd is rocking to everyone’s favorite, Mustang Sally, don’t follow it with greensleeves or something radically different.
    Also just because you love a song doesn’t mean you can perform it ......

13. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Most of my enjoyment comes from playing songs that the audience enjoys. I get a kick out of it when they get off on the tunes. I'll play the phone book if the peeps dig it.

14. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

We do a live band karaoke thing.

ONE TIME we had Hotel California on the list. Never again. It's 9 years long.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yes. We start with a set list, but have yet in all these years to play it completely and in order.
    The bass player in our band is good at reading the room, and often will say “we should do that one now” and I’ve been doing it more now too.

16. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

(about "honky tonk woman")
    QFT

17. doc

doc Member

Our best "clear the dance floor" tune was always Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings by ZZ Top. I think its a very cool tune, apparently ladies that like to dance don't.

18. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

You are surprised this was a flop?

Guitar Stu likes this.
  19. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

That's because ladies that like to dance have never heard or heard of those tunes.

20. Telejester

Telejester Member

To be honest I thought it was a crap song myself