Cover Band Flops

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BigBadOrange, Jun 19, 2019.

1. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I've been playing for a long time so I've experienced the flop many times. Someone used the word "sobering" in another post and that's the perfect word for it. It happens less with acoustic shows because of the dance-floor factor in bands but it does happen. Tried playing "Run To You" by Bryan Adams the other evening at a solo gig and it didn't get much of a response. No worries, I have about 250 other songs I can play.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    HoboMan likes this.
  2. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i don't know why you guys think these late-era songs (Crue, Maiden, Scorpions) are worth playing in the first place, not surprised that nobody liked them. only the most desperate fans listen to any of that stuff. the Maiden tune was pretty bad.

a little surprised about 'Bitch' myself (one of my favorite RS songs), but i wouldn't imagine it's one that most people know. to the casual listener it might sound pretty generic, especially depending on the band.

surprised with all three of them myself. good tunes. ...but again, depends on the band. maybe i'm not so surprised. :p

3. data_null

data_null Member

Joined a friend's "alt-rock" band a few years ago just to help out since they needed another guitarist. I wouldn't have called it alt-rock, more like some obscure modern rock with some Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Green Day, Oasis, Kings of Leon, Sublime, Weezer, etc.. thrown in. Played about 12-15 shows with them and almost every song at every show was a flop. No one in this area was even remotely interested in any of that music. It got to be comical after awhile.

4. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Member

In my own defense I hated that maiden tune and did not want to play it. But it WAS a "hit" for maiden and the other band members insisted on it. And, if I remember corrretly, we were TRYING to find something less than 20 years old, lol.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  5. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Wheels (Foo F), Dani California, F**k You (Cee Lo Green), Dude Looks Like A Lady, Drive By (Train), Kids in America, Raise Your Glass and Grenade (Bruno M) all bombed when we tried 'em in the set. Completely cleared the dance floor.

HoboMan and sonofspy like this.
  6. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

Rush tribute. "Hey guys - nobody ever plays Jacob's Ladder, we should learn it." So we did.

First time we played it, the bar emptied.

So we figured it was because we were playing for a general audience and that's a real deep cut, and we tried it again at a benefit show before an actual Rush concert, for a group of die hard Rush fans.

Bar emptied again.

We now fully understand why nobody ever plays Jacob's Ladder...

7. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

Paint It Black. It's a very cool song but seemingly appeals to those Vietnam era veterans or people who like the soundtracks from the movies from that time.

JiveTurkey, HoboMan, Angeln and 2 others like this.
  8. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

I do Astronomy Domine with various bands and by myself. Sometimes audiences are knocked out and super impressed (and talk to me about it) and sometimes they look puzzled, like it's the weirdest thing they ever heard. It can go either way with that one, but the delivery does not change.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

:rotflmao Yeah, when songs are never played, there's usually a reason.

Seems almost like a rite of passage for every new cover band with inexperienced players, they go in thinking everyone else is stupid and lame for playing the same old stuff, and they were going to be the ones to break the mold and play whatever they wanted, but with so much *passion* and such awesome rearrangements that the crowd would be blown away. Slowly but surely they start replacing all that crap with stuff from The List (if the band lasts that long).

Also reminds me of the bizarre circumstance when someone in the band suggests adding some mega no-brainer hit to the set, and someone else chimes in with, "everybody plays that, let's play [some obscure song by the same band] instead." :facepalm

10. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

We figured in a room full of Rush freaks, it would go over. But it flopped.

So we called an audible: "Working Man"

11. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Ah, the Rush song that satisfies EVERYONE!! They don’t have a ton of those.

SDB, Brooks, JiveTurkey and 2 others like this.
  12. JPH118

JPH118 Member

I feel like every gig has at least one tune that we’re really nailing and I’m feeling super proud of, usually on the uppity-muso side of the list like a jazz-blues or whatever, and nothing but crickets after... then, we’ll butcher something we’ve done a hundred times like “Pride & Joy” and the place goes bonkers. People, eh?

13. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

A former band of mine tried to make TNT work. We thought we could get the whole bar to do the "Oy! Oy! Oy!" part.

Yea, not so much.

14. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

WOW! Crazytown...

15. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

We played Love Stinks by The J Giles Band at a wedding reception. No response. :cool:

brainman, Redrum, U.S. Blues and 7 others like this.
  16. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Wasn't me but I was at my cousins show circa 1992 or so... Body Counts - Cop Killer damn near ended the gig.

My dad has a story about a song not going so well also: Ferries Wear Boots at the Mcconnel Airforce Base Officers Club.

17. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

My old band actually played "Tomorrow Never Knows" live (we recorded it too). I have a Danelectro Back Talk pedal, so I just played a droning backwards C chord, and we were able to do a pretty convincing version. You never saw a place clear out faster. We played it live twice, and twice it bombed. Another one bites the dust.

18. twotone

twotone Member

Playing Judas Priest tunes in front of a country crowd.

19. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Those ones are money for us, especially F**k You, gets the whole place singing it. :dunno

20. jblake

jblake Member

When I was in a jammy cover band we always had this plan that if a song really killed, we would segue into another tune by the same artist. It worked really well almost every time. A notable exception was “Where Is My Mind?” into “Gigantic.” The crowd went from loving us to openly mocking us is less than 30 seconds.