Cover Band Flops

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BigBadOrange, Jun 19, 2019.

1. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

So what Rush songs did you play that didn't immediately clear the bar?

I ask that with much love for Rush personally and hoping that there is actually something I can try.

Crowder and JiveTurkey like this.
  2. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I was responding to the person who said they played in bands where they only liked maybe 2 songs out of 3 sets. I’d never do that as I stated. And, judging by the set lists people post, I’d have no interest in playing well over half the songs they play. Some of the songs are OK, but I’d have no interest in playing them. In a lot of set lists I see, I’d probably really only enjoy 4-5 songs, but that’s also why I don’t play in cover bands. Fully understand people have to play these songs to get gigs. I’m sure they enjoy playing a lot of the, as well, but it’s not something I’d enjoy. I like music from the 50s to today, but I’d be the guy wanting to play Paint it Black instead of Honky Tonk Woman.

3. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i can understand preferring one over the other, but you don't "enjoy" Honky Tonk Women? o_O

4. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

The sing-a-long, clap-a-long, stomp-a-long, call-and-repeat is the worst, especially if the singer asks for participation ahead of time. When all cylinders at a gig are firing ... rare magic. Most times, avoid like plague. Or at least don't tell the audience you want them to participate to avoid the embarrassment felt by all when they cold shoulder you. Some one mentioned We Will Rock You. You have to be pretty sure of the result when you whip that song out! These songs don't "get the crowd going" like inexperienced bands expect. You only spring them on a crowd that's already in the palm of your hand.

5. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Yes. We play it and it has just enough of a success rate to stay in. Personally, I'm not a fan, but I did think it would do better than it has. It did a lot better when it was hot in 2015-16.

6. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

The only problem with that approach is when most every other local cover band is doing the same thing...and pretty soon every cover band starts to sound like every other cover band.
    It's almost as though there is one master set list that gets passed around, and those are the songs everyone does. :rolleyes:

Pick your music, and then find your audience...unless you're willing to play only the universally accepted material just so you could play out, or because you need the money.

ckfoxtrot, Doode and James_E like this.
  7. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Yeah I love that song but nope, here in our neck of the woods....crickets.

8. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

Jonathan Richman - I'm Straight.

9. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Doesn't sound like die hard Rush fans to me, Jacob's Ladder kills. If you are in a Rush tribute band, that song should fit the set nicely.

mattthehoople likes this.
  10. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I was kind of surprised how poorly Life During Wartime by the Talking Heads went over with my old cover band.

Brooks likes this.
  11. GuitarMike69

GuitarMike69 Member

+3 on Cee Lo's F**k You, played it last Saturday night and the crowd went nuts.

I know what it's like to have to carry through a tune that cleared the floor a couple measures into it, sucks! It's usually one that "one" band member was really pushy about doing, when the rest of us knew better. At least they're written off permanently after an embarrassing flop.

This thread brings to mind one of my first gigs, way back in about 1981 with my very first band. We did mostly Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden covers (like most cool 12 year olds in 1981). It was a block party for the other guitarists neighborhood, I didn't even own an amp yet (good story there, I'll save for another time...) They were almost all military families, as my buddy's Dad was a captain in the Navy. We played War Pigs, with no real regard to the lyrics, and I can assure you, the place went dead quiet after the first couple verses and they almost pulled the plug on us. We made a quick recovery with Breakin the Law, which had never been so well received since the inception of the metal gods themselves, go figure.

12. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I don't know man. I love that song ... to listen to while I drive, do my taxes, mow my lawn .... it's one of those songs that can be good in the background or that once in a while you really focus on and wonder how they remembered all those syncopated accents and time signatures ... BUT, given a choice from an entire Rush catalog, I don't think I'd want to watch it performed. Not if it meant a better song had to be booted. No hook, no live energy, it's an album track. Dare I say filler. Maybe works as part of a medley for a bit. I know, I'm handing in my Rush Lifelong Membership.

13. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I love "Thunder Road" but apparently nobody else does. Did it a few times by myself on acoustic, to a lukewarm reaction.

sonofspy and AZJim like this.
  14. Caulk Rocket

Caulk Rocket Member

I hate to use "flop" to describe my death metal Billy Squier cover band. Acquired taste is the correct term.

Brooks, JiveTurkey, ckfoxtrot and 3 others like this.
  15. Shadowfax2112

Shadowfax2112 Member

Stone in Love by Journey, just blank faces, then when it should go into the ending bit we go into Any Way You want it (also Journey) and Dance Floor fills again. Happened a few times so we dropped it and just do Any Way You Want It.
    Wild Wild Life by Talking Heads is another one that surprised me it didn't go over well. Many failures over the years but those ones surprised me.

16. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

We've had various songs do absolutely nothing at some clubs and then the place goes wild for the same song at other clubs...or sometimes it's the same club on different nights. Different crowd, different moods...
    I've given up on trying to read and gauge the club's atmosphere and we usually just play what we want to play.

One song that really took a while to get legs was "Feel It Still" by Portugal. The Man.
    The first couple times we played it, people starred at us as if we all had three heads, but about the 4th gig people heard the first few notes and started filling the dance floor. Now we play it at every gig.

17. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Great. My band just learned Kids in America and we're supposed to be playing it for he first time at gigs this Saturday and Sunday.

We are doing a heavier version by the Donnas so maybe that will help.

18. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

My band recently started playing this. The Jury is still out.

chillybilly likes this.
  19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Except on another night, same crowd or different one, it might kill. That is the hardest part to take!

For me, there are two totally different aspects to this.

1) Songs that the band did well (by trying to objectively as possible assess) but that flopped. and
    2) Songs that for whatever reason we love the song, didn't see any problem doing it, but just had to work and work and work to make it groove or sound right. Eventually even give up on.

That second category is something we are much better at paying attention to. Sometimes it is a musician in the band that just can't seem to get a certain critical part down and we have gotten around in some songs by changing the arrangement some. But still others, and this has no relation to percieved difficulty, but just don't get them going.
    Then you have the opposite (which I LOVE when it happens) a song that you try out first time and it sounds great and right and grooves right from the start, maybe minor adjustments still needed but it has IT..

Over the years we are a little quicker to drop songs (even if we really want to do them) if they don't gel in a reasonable amount of time. Also to see what it is about the songs that just fall right into our laps, go well from first try. Doesn't seem to be very related to complexity of the song either, though sometimes it can be a factor.

But point 1, crowd reaction. It is a fickle thing. Some songs seem to kill almost every time. NO song kills ALL the time at every gig. Some songs seem more volatile, crowd one night LOVES it, another night sit on their hands.

This stuff gets tricky. Our solution as above, if WE don't think we do it well enough within a certain time of trying we drop it. IF we think it sounds really good we keep it, but if it rarely gets folk enthused, set it aside/drop it.
    The in between (many songs) we just figure out if we think they are good enough.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Guitar Stu and sonofspy like this.
  20. magdream

magdream Member

Was it at least right before midnight?

Wolfgangsta likes this.