cover band venues...Raleigh, NC

RockManDan

ok, here's the deal, we do pretty well in Durham, but we're looking to branch into Raleigh, problem is none of us live in raleigh, so we don't really know the scene. Outside of places that are going to want originals bands, where are the good bar gigs in Raleigh that would pay 1200-1500 for a 3-set band if the crowd is right?

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Cover bands getting $1200 or more in a Raleigh bar/club. Good luck unless it is a country club.

tcforec

Unless you're Crush (who at one point had Kelly Holland, former lead singer of Cry of Love, playing drums for them) good luck making anywhere close to that unless you charge at the door and pack the place. $500-700 you can get if you know how to work the crowd and get people drinking (and the ladies dancing...which in turn gets the boys drinking).

RockManDan

im just putting that figure based on what we usually get. For example at Devine's on Main street in Downtown Durham, we usually pull around 14-1600 depending on crowd size, and what the cover is. Usually 5, sometimes 7, and occasionally the ownwer will throw us some more if he had a good night. Thanks to our singer having a million friends, we usually draw pretty well. We do 3 sets, bring our own PA, lights, etc the usual deal. Sometimes we get a guarantee from the place for a set $$, and others its just 100% of the door.

Trust me Ive been in the playing for pennies game for plenty of my life, im excited to be in a band that actually makes money. But, part of doing that is not saturating your own town. We try not to play local more than once at the same place for obvious reasons.

Setting aside any monetary hangups, what would you guys if you're local, consider the fun places to go hear a cover band?

paranoid70

It must be different on the east coast. Here there are cover bands, many of them quite good (I like to think mine is not bad), but they don't seem to make nearly that much. Mostly you can see good cover bands at local popular bars/pubs. But, cover bands rarely play large and more importantly money-making venues. The bands out here that can pull that off are really good tribute bands - you know the exact replica sound and visual type.

Last edited:

Aaron Mayo

Sorry I am of no help (in the northeast) but just want to say it sounds like you guys are doing something right. Good luck.

im just putting that figure based on what we usually get. For example at Devine's on Main street in Downtown Durham, we usually pull around 14-1600 depending on crowd size, and what the cover is. Usually 5, sometimes 7, and occasionally the ownwer will throw us some more if he had a good night. Thanks to our singer having a million friends, we usually draw pretty well. We do 3 sets, bring our own PA, lights, etc the usual deal. Sometimes we get a guarantee from the place for a set $$, and others its just 100% of the door.

Trust me Ive been in the playing for pennies game for plenty of my life, im excited to be in a band that actually makes money. But, part of doing that is not saturating your own town. We try not to play local more than once at the same place for obvious reasons.

Setting aside any monetary hangups, what would you guys if you're local, consider the fun places to go hear a cover band?

Yer Blues

Can't help you, but I might be able to let you guys play a song or two during one of our breaks. :)

Damn, you can make that much at Devines? As for Raleigh, it's pretty much sports bars for $400. If you can get into 42nd St. I'm pretty sure you can get more, but I'm not really into the cover scene these days, so I'm not much help. Most of the actual music venues book original bands and the occasional tribute acts. (And I play in one of each of those!)

If you get booked somewhere here, let me know!

Stike

Devine's is pretty small, that's a pretty astounding number. Actually I've checked your videos and even though I am decidedly not a fan of modern country you guys are great so I guess it's a given y'all are doing well.

Also where else besides The Tavern (and only once a month there ) are there cover bands here? I think Charlie's is about dead now.

I'm not up on the cover scene in Raleigh beyond 42nd Street. Is Nappertandys still a place? I think they did a lot of cover bands. Longbranch?