Cover Bands don't have to have a great Lead Singer to be successful!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, May 9, 2016.

1. flatnine

flatnine Member

Depends on definition of successful. If you mean play lots of gigs every week I'll buy that. If you mean play $5k+ gigs regularly I totally disagree...

Phletch likes this.
  2. ibis

ibis Member

I was in a band with a less than perfect singer who was however, a great frontman. We were pretty successful.
    Now I'm in a band with a great singer who doesn't have all the frontman chops but is getting there. We're not established yet.
    Both scenarios work, but the reaction we get with our current singer is far more gratifying. I think the pub band scene is pretty short of great singers and someone who is does really stand out. We're getting a lot of interest for parties, weddings etc.

3. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

For what it's worth..

My old cover band... the other guitar player was the lead singer. He's a good singer. Not an all-star. But good. More than good enough.

They recently added a second lead singer... a girl who is off the charts... and suddenly they are getting much bigger (and better paying) gigs.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  4. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

The 'why would a great singer be in a cover band' part implies that playing a cover band would be beneath someone with real talent.

5. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Like what?

BADHAK and EricPeterson like this.
  6. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

sounds like youre saying even if you have a great singer your cover band might not be that great.
    or, if your singer blows it doesnt matter as long as the band is great.
    Im not sure I agree with the second part.

'great singer' to me is someone who can sing on pitch, has range, timing,
    good personality/stage presence, and looks the part.

7. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Sadly, outside of singing jingles, playing covers is probably the most lucrative option.

Being the next hot-sh!t original artist is way down on the list.

Reverse the order of these criteria and that's the priority list for a party/variety band, starting with most important.

johann likes this.
  8. johann

johann Member

This!

I'm in the same situation.

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Most of the singers I have backed up or have been in COVER bands with ...
    Could Out-Sing a great many of those who are famous ...
    This I say without an ounce of trepidation ...

10. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

Maybe it's because everybody else in your bands suck. :dunno
    It all comes down to how entertaining the singer is, whether it be by the sheer awesomeness of their vocal skills, their personality/ability to connect with the crowd, or both. I've seen plenty of "average singers who can sing in pitch and sound okay" kick the crap out of better vocalists who are stiffs on stage.

lp_bruce likes this.
  11. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

The OP has been in 3 bands with "Great" singers.....I'm guessing we'll just have to take his word for it.

I've been in one band with a great singer. It opened doors that had always been closed before. This was true even though he didn't have much stage presence...all we had to do was send links to our songs and we'd get gigs.

You can get it done without a great singer but everything is so much easier with high end vox....

Turi likes this.
  12. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Again, I wasn't talking about a singer who "blows".....I'm talking about a band with a singer with an average voice vs. a band with a sing who has a GREAT voice.......to me a singer "who can sing on pitch, has range, timing,
    good personality/stage presence, and looks the part" doesn't complete the picture of a GREAT singer......a great voice is a great voice....you know it when you hear it.

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Turi likes this.
  14. Turi

Turi Member

Your cover bands don't need great singers to be successful, because they don't exist.
    I get gigs purely because of my voice, nobody gives a F about my guitar ownage.

Phletch, rhinocaster and Lucidology like this.
  15. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Careful, some around these parts don't take kindly when his trolling is pointed out. Some white knighting ensues.

lp_bruce likes this.
  16. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

So I'm clear, you think playing leads note-for-note is important, but a great lead singer is of no particular benefit.

Well ok then..

Peace,

mdrake34 and rhinocaster like this.
  17. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

I don't know, maybe to get paid?

27sauce likes this.
  18. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

Spot on!

Again... we ARE talking about 2HB here.

mdrake34 and lp_bruce like this.
  19. Semitone

Semitone Member

As long as we are talking trash. Beside vocals being overrated, so is rehearsing. Just my observation from seeing too many crappy cover bands.

Personally I think great vocals are key to a top notch band, so isn't a tight, well rehearsed rhythm section. Maybe that's why, I'll take a dj over a weekend warrior cover band much of the time. If you are deaf, YMMV.

On the other hand, I've seen some great bands play covers in addition to there original material. My rule of thumb is that if the are truly "local", I'll pass. If they schlepped here from another state, then they are worth a chance. This criteria works pretty well for me.

20. loudboy

loudboy Member

A high-end cover band will provide more income over the long run, than most label deals.

I've said this about the auditions on American Idol - almost any good cover band singer could kill any of the semi-finalists on that show. They're just not stupid enough to sign the usurious contract.

OTOH, a great singer who doesn't know how to entertain, or doesn't look as good as an attractive lesser-talented singer, will be in the minus column.

Phletch likes this.