Cover bands, how often do you hit on new songs?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Yer Blues, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

The cover band I play with does a lot of country and will mix in some newer stuff (top 40). This is the first cover band I've played with that will work in songs that are currently on the "charts". I'm realizing a lot of the times the material will go over well for a month or so while it is hot, but after that a lot of the time it will fizzle out. I'm thinking when it comes to newer stuff it might be better to pick bigger songs of the last 2-3 years instead of bigger songs of the last 2-3 weeks because the ones that will have been around will have more staying power.

We've got a number of songs that were released in 2014, but we've dropped almost as many as we've kept and I'm not sure how many of these we will keep around for 2015 or longer (assuming the band stays together). We just added 5 more songs this week, but they are songs that have been around and still get radio play after 3-4 years. I think these will have a better shelf life for a cover band.

Any thoughts?

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I recently joined a country band and I tend to side with you. We pick up chart-toppers that people recognize but what STAYS on the list for more than a month is the stuff that, obviously, has stayed more popular.

I'm not a country guy, but the drummer was a friend so I joined. He and the lead-singer are huge country fans and constantly pick new music that's in current radio-rotation, but I'm seeing the same trend you mentioned develop. It's a hard call, because people are impressed when you know a new song, but it makes a lot more homework / practice to learn all that new stuff only to jettison it a few weeks later. I don't mind working, but I don't like working for nothing....

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

You need to do both. There's nothing like playing a new song when it's hot, but they won't all last, either. It's just part of the cover band game. Stay current with learning new songs and just keep the good ones........

4. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Most new pop songs are 3-4 chords, tops. Easy to learn and are quite disposable when they exceed their shelf life.

5. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Stay as current as possible. My old country band would learn 3-5 new songs a week, with at least 2 of those being current on the charts, or will be in the near future. The other songs would be brush ups on older tunes, or stuff the singer wants to do. There were times that we were so caught up we didn't learn anything new. We were playing the top 25. Club was packed, sings were fresh, energy was there, we were way ahead of everyone in town.

New band, same venue. New Country sucks, right? The idea was to do 90's-early '00's "good" country with a little current(within 3 years) country thrown in. Guess what? The place is s ghost town on some nights. Attendance has dropped in half in a little over a year.