Cover bands: same set every time or do you mix it up?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GuitarGuy66, Jan 20, 2015.

1. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

We have a master list and keep copies of old set lists. We will decide the first set usually before the gig. Then we will whip up the next sets during the breaks.

2. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

When I was playing cover band gigs, we usually had about 2 - 3 hours of music on our setlist with another 2-3 hours of extras to swap in and out as needed/wanted or appropriate.

The "official" setlist was always changing, and as said above, would even change during the night.

3. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

Mix it up. We regularly add new stuff and rearrange the perinnials.

4. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I like to mix it up. Although there are a few tunes we seem to do just about every time.

5. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Well said.

6. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

We have a set list of 75-80 songs or so. We could play two nights of 3-sets and never repeat a song. We tend to stick with a core of about 50-ish songs and then sprinkle the oddity or specific request when it happens.

We never repeat a set. We will have set themes (all 80s or all 90s, a set of Pearl Jam or U2, etc etc) but in general we look at the club/bar setting or type of event (festival?) and then write the best set we feel will work. We have an 80s gig coming up, we need to play 90 minutes of nothing but songs from the 80s. As of right now we already have 18 songs lying in our existing song list to cover it (pun intended!).

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

When I was playing a lot, we'd have 4 solid sets, arranged w/segues, etc.

We'd play 3 per might, and switch the order of the actual sets, especially on a 2-night engagement in the same club.

We'd also rotate for return engagements.

Kept us and the crowd from getting bored if they came both nights.

8. stephenwz968

stephenwz968 Supporting Member

Same as others above - we rotate stuff in and out all the time, just to keep it fresh for the audience and for us.

9. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

one band had 5-6 sets. 3 for a 4 hour gig, we would switch them up to keep it kinda interesting. we played a lot, so there was still a lot of repetition.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I try to mix it up and always try to bring "new" (meaning new to the band as a whole, not necessarily new on the radio) music in as much as possible. I saw my friends top notch coverband late last year and brought some friends and I thought they were GREAT. So them again (same club) two weeks ago (also brought more friends) and I was a little disappointed... VERY similar show.

11. johann

johann Member

We have 180 songs on our set-list, we play 3 nights per week. People don't want to listen the same songs every night, or every week!

We mix them a lot!