Cover Bands..Why do you do it?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MONSTER ZERO, Mar 31, 2015.

1. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Especially us "older folks".Schlepping gear, getting home at 3am, Sometimes smelling like an ashtray, dealing with belligerent drunk people etc etc

Why do YOU do it?

I'll tell you the reasons I personally do it. I love the feeling of being in a tight band and the crowd is loving it, I get high like I'm on some drug. I also enjoy that I have a built in groupie. My fiance is the lead singer (Hell we've gone out for quickies between sets before :omg). The money is a way distant 3rd because we don't earn enough of that for it to really matter. More principle than anything for us.

I've easily dumped 20k just the past couple years in this endeavor and probably close to 100k since I started.

When I wake up on Saturday or Sunday close to noonish and I feel like I've been batted around in a giant pinball machine I wonder why I do it until the shower and coffee are done and then it's "When's the next one"?

So what say you? Are you making a living doing it? Do you feel similar to how I feel about the adrenaline rush? Maybe you just like jamming with other people or something entirely different?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. dazco

dazco Member

Pretty much the same. It's based around a never ending desire to outdo myself. I stopped gigging 10 years ago but now and then old bandmates will get together and do a gig and we just did one for the first time in a few years and had a really good crowd and killed it pretty good. I'm still on my post gig high today a few days later. :D Oh, and i had a lot of new gear i was dying to try out that exceeded my expectaions. (one you're familiar with....mustang amp, and boy did it pass w/flying colors)

I don't miss the drunken fools and all the other obstacles, but i sure do miss this feeling.

3. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Beats sitting at home watching TV all weekend.

Monday mornings at work everybody is talking about what they watched.

4. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Member

It's funny, I actually work hard to avoid those obnoxious club gigs! I don't want to get home at 2am or 3am. I don't want to feel hungover the next day.

So instead I play in a band that does events and casuals, with an occasional one night stint at a club of our choosing.

I do it because it makes it a lot more fun!

5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

if you spend more than you are making i always heard that you are doing it wrong.

so much depends upon your goals. if it is to play once every 8 weeks i see no need at all to invest hoards of money on gear. most of that gear just loses value really quick.

i play 8-12 times mo, and i still don't invest heavily into gear. most places we play have sound and lights. some small gigs we bring a simple pa. some powered speakers and some led lights. we hire out sound crews for big events, corp/wedding events. that can be anywhere from 3-8 bills but it's worth it considering we all still pocket the same each. these sound guys use top end gear from nexo, qsc, midas, crest, and so on. we don't drag any of that stuff around. they scope the venue, and bring what is needed for the people to expect.
    we also recommend sound crews to event personnel for things like fairs and what not. those gigs the sound guys are paid by the event coordinators and not the band. otoh those are the big rigs, huge truss stage systems etc.

there are up and coming sound guy start ups like there are newcomer photographers all the time. some of these guys will do your sound/lights for a couple bills or less. depends on how much you use them. they may not be as big as the heavy hitters, but you can get a pretty reliable guy to do the work and bring some decent enough gear. none i know use junk or antiquated gear.

6. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

the "high" you get from playing music and it is a natural high, is the very same high that people get from using drugs. Mind altering substances.

Of course no two people feel and experience things (music,drugs) in the same manner or to an equal degree

7. clarkram

clarkram Member

When the band is tight and the crowd receptive, it's just a great rush. When it's good, it's almost as much fun as sex, sometimes more .

8. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

So you are saying you do it for the money? Nothing wrong with that for sure! I know many bands around here that do the same thing.

I rarely end up losing money but darn close sometimes when we go out for post gig food to an all night Diner.

One more thing I will add is that yeah I do kinda feel like a Rock Star a little bit when the place is jumping. So that's another reason I guess.

9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I play in cover bands because it's a lot of fun and well worth the work. I should say, though, that I especially like full nights with my acoustic trio (mostly covers, some originals) in part because there isn't much to pack on a late night. Small PA, no guitar amps, no drums, etc.

Peace,

10. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

I did a Duo for a little while and it was fun. Kinda miss it sometimes.

11. Radspin

Radspin Member

I do it because it's fun and because I'm a musician and that's what musicians DO. When the crowd is with you and you're playing well it's a rush like no other. And even when you're playing to a dead room, there's always someone who is getting into it.

Also, we only play about once to three times a month...more in the summer and almost never in the winter (We rehearse once a week)...I'm going to be 60 soon and the other band members are in their 50s and 60s and we just don't want to play more than that and I find it very uncomfortable to load and unload in the cold...I'm not 22 anymore. So, I don't get to the point where it turns into a grind.

Another big deal for me...we're known for playing songs mostly everyone knows, and which go over well, but aren't the same old "Mustang Sally," "Take It Easy" and so on. We'll do "It's Not Unusual" arranged for banjo, ukulele and female vocals, "Love Will Keep Us Together" mashed up with "Carry On Wayward Son," "Walk On By," "These Eyes" and other songs that other bands seldom do, and people love it. We'll also do "standards" like "Folsom Prison Blues," "All Shook Up," Beatles songs and so on.

Every year it gets a little harder as we get physically less resilient, and we've stopped playing gigs where we have to play until 1 or later. We've all had discussions about how, someday...five years? 10? we won't be able to do it anymore, so it makes every gig special, even if it's some open mic somewhere or a coffee house that holds 25 people tops.

12. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

I do it for the real reason - to support my gear habit.

13. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

For the joy of playing to audience.

14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I love to make music. I love the attention. I'm in a band that's really good and it's probably more fun than anything else in my life.

15. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I love the people in our band, I love seeing people dancing and having a good time. I love having a pretty good sound & light rig, I love getting paid. We might play a dozen times a year so it's always a fun time getting together and ripping it up for a night. Since we play private events, we usually have a nice stage to play on with lots of room for everyone.

Everyone has a good time, we all pitch in moving gear and setting up. Did I mention the money is half decent.

:aok

16. drewl

drewl Member

Yup, I love playing and actually get paid to hang out in clubs entertaining attractive young women.

17. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

I played in original bands my entire life and lost shitloads of money, played tons of half-empty gigs, etc. Now we play to mostly full rooms, get paid pretty well, have lots of pretty females attending, and it can be fun sometimes. It's about the only way I'd get to play guitar in a band with people actually showing up.

Also, there are almost zero venues left for original music here in AZ and the crowds suck. The last 10 shows or so with original bands (even out of town bands) I went to see were pretty dead overall.

18. harry65

harry65 Member

For da skanks of course..............:omg:omg;)

19. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

I simply love to play. It's not for the money, as we are fairly new and are paying our dues. We are also not a corporate band, so I don't know that we will ever make big bucks doing it. Give me a place to play and some people to enjoy what we do, and that is payment enough for me.

20. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Cause. ..
    I play in a ripper band
    I love my rig and it sounds it's best at a gig
    I like watching women dance
    It makes all those hours of practice worthwhile
    It gives me something to work towards. ...to try to outdo myself every gig
    Its nice to have what you love doing, pay for your gear
    I genuinely like, even love,most of the songs we do

Sure, ssome dud gigs can be a drag, but theres alot of things worse than playing guitar in a rocking band.