Cover guys...what song did your band absolutely butcher??

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by rob2001, May 15, 2011.

1. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'm not in a cover band anymore but I was just watching some old vids and couldn't help but notice songs that were not up to par. The worst butcher job we did was a version of 25 or 6 to 4. Way too fast, a guitar doing the main horn section riff and guys singing that should NOT have attempted those vocals. Sure was fun to wank leads on though!

Just havin some fun, what songs did your band ruin??

2. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

we tried to do "out in the street" by bruce springsteen... and butchered it. we were fine up through the sax solo (played by the other guitar player) but after that... it would all fall apart. we did it live once... never again.

we were just trying to learn a different bruce song than the same ones every other band in jersey does.

well... then we learned born to run... and it kills every time... even if everyone does it. we should have just done that from the beginning...

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. dancehall

dancehall Member

"Boogie Shoes." Just could not get the feel right at all. Ended up never playing it live because the rehearsals were so off the mark.

4. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Have totally butchered a few live. Mostly songs we thought we had "close enough" then trainwrecked on stage. Hate that feeling of realizing 30 seconds into a song the band should have done more homework.

5. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

the last band i played with was really just an average band, musically....

they tried to do "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard -- but did not have any of the sounds, the sequence, the vocals, etc. it sounded HORRIBLE :omg

6. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Having played in many cover bands, I've been in plenty of situations where songs were butchered. My feeling is that if the song doesn't at least sound passable on the first run through, you probably shouldn't do it.

7. Deadwood

Deadwood Member

8. Phil M

Phil M Member

I agree for the most part. There are occasionally exceptions where you work it out over time but most of the time you either have it or you don't.

There have been a number of songs over the years that weren't up to snuff but some never should've hit the stage. Summer of '69 is one. Didn't fit with the rest of our set and we didn't do a very good job with it.

9. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Senior Member

"I Just Want To Celebrate" It's shocking to me what the guys in my band can't play.

10. Ros

Ros Silver Supporting Member

I gotta go with this advice big time. We were hell bent on doing "Number of the Beast" and our first run through was ridiculous. We tried for about five or six practices and made it passable but realized that "passable" was the best we could do if we all played to our capacity so we dropped it before we butchered it live. Now if we can't do a serviceable job of it on the first try we won't bother.

-R.

11. chucke99

chucke99 Member

In my opinion, the biggest thing cover bands don't get right are backing/harmony vocals. You can always change the arrangements of instruments to match your skill level, but if you then attempt and fail at the harmonies, the song is going to suck to high heaven anyway. It's better to NOT put in harmonies if you can't nail them. People forgive the absence of harmonies much faster than they forgive bad harmonies.

So which song did my last band torture the most? The big one was "Comfortably Numb", and no I don't have a video for you. I'm afraid it would go viral and we'd get a million hits.

12. gigs

gigs Member

Them Bones - Alice in Chains.

We practiced it a couple times the night before a gig. During the gig we all said, yeah sure.... lets do it ... why not. The drummer gave the clicks and we all kinda started playling something different.... struggled thru it till the 2nd verse. Horrible, embarrassing. Our sound guy walked away laughing durign that one. He said we were on our own.

13. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

That is exactly what came to my mind - If I showed the video of my band's attempt to play . . .any number of songs, we would be infamous on the internet.:omg

14. Wombat

Wombat Supporting Member

When I was in a cover band back in the 90s we tried to do "Don't Take Me Alive" by Steely Dan. It wasn't that bad, but covering Steely Dan is something you shouldn't take lightly.

15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Back in the very early nineties, I was playing with some folks and we decided to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit", even though we had not rehearsed it, because we all "knew" it. So we kick the song in, and I am tuned to E flat, while everyone else is tuned to standard, and the resulting sound was horrific from the first note. We all fell apart and it was downhill from there. Not sure we even made it through the first verse.

16. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

It was a Maroon 5 tune. For some reason, the singer couldn't figure out his notes, and we tried to bail him out, but he never did get it. I felt super bad for him! Should have stopped the song.

17. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I actually covered Peg last Saturday in my cover band for the first time live....and Steely Dan's long time Engineer, John Neff was in the audience. To say I wans't a bit unnerved was an understatement....LOL

The song that stands out in my mind was a Jerry Jeff Walker tune we did back in the early 80's called "Up Against the Wall ya Redneck Muther". The Bass Player and Drummer were toasted, ....but fortunately.....most in the audience were too...LOL

18. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

I played in a band with a couple friends and friends of friends a few years back and we had the worst cover of What is and What Should Never Be ever. The other guitarist just could not get the verse rhythm and chords right and it was awful. That and I'm terrible at slide so the solo was always hit or miss. The singer really dug it so we kept playing it though. Worst 5 minutes of our set.

19. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

There has been a couple, but Tom Petty's American Girl sticks out. I just don't know why the drummer had such a hard time, but the rhythm was just way off and the song just never sounded right.

The guy who mentioned harmonies is right on. We had to ditch The Weight after a few shows as we realized it was just too difficult to nail that 3 part harmony.

20. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

Hate to admit it, but my band just butchers the hell out of Stormy Monday. Sure, we play the cords, have a good solo ... but the blues feel just isn't there, isn't right, and it makes me want to scream every time. It's a case not of blatant mistakes (which is what most of the other posts seem to be talking about) but of just poor "feel" that we never seem to be able to correct.