• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Covered humbuckers vs. uncovered humbuckers:

Lewguitar

Quite a difference. To my ears, the same pickup sounds like a different pickup depending on whether it's covered or uncovered.

Much more sizzle and noise from the pick striking the strings uncovered.

Thanks to Bare Knuckles for this great demo.

I prefer covered but decide for yourself:

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I've never done a direct comparison with humbuckers but I have with Tele neck pickups and the difference between a cover and no cover is very noticable so I'm not surprised that it would make a difference with a humbucker.

DYNA BILL

I have never compared the sound either, but I just like the looks of covered HB's better.
The only guitar I currently have with HB's is uncovered. I just don't care for the looks of them.

pitbull45

I prefer covered too, I think covered sounds a bit rounder and sweeter. Took me a while to figure it out -- I had been using uncovered pickups for a long time. I loaded my Les Paul with a set of the Duncan Slash AP2 and finally found the tones a was looking for when I covered them up.

Lewguitar

I like covered too.

Over on the Duncan Forum guys are always complaining about Pearly Gates pickups being to bright and I keep telling them to order the covered version.

Not many seem to take that advice though.

Oh well.

joeVague

Every pick up will sound different covered or un-covered, eight hole, half's (std) and even open covers have different tonal qualities... and on every guitar . Open does tend to be more sharp and closed more harmonic depending on your pickup heights .. A strong notation: the make of covers alters the sound greatly: Silver Nickel vs cheap alloy ... or even copper plated...it all affects the quality and over all tone. Hollow bodies especially... want even another? Your wire and grounding .. all make tonal variables.... another words, if it works don't screw with it because you risk de-magnetizing your pickup if you don't know what your doing....

chrisrocksusa

Nor can I, although I did the reverse. Took the covers off expecting a world of tone to bloom before my ears. Nothin'.
I needed some validation, thanks!

I did it for aesthetic reasons, but I was also really curious if I would hear any difference. It was probably my 1st hand experience with rumors I'd always heard about tone that turned out to be a load of BS

ScottOlson

Hey guys, years ago we did some tests when we were experimenting with cover materials. The covers we ended up producing use nickel silver and we could hear an almost negligible effect on the tone. Some say it can warm it up just a bit, but at least with our covers it's not a radical difference and you're not losing anything by using a cover.

DYNA BILL

Off topic but......
Scott, I just want to say what a terrific job you guys did on rewinding my '57 Ric Toaster PUP. And great service! It's been a couple of years, but I just wanted to say that.

SPSurgeon

I am a Fender guy - that's the sound that's stuck in my head. But I love the look and feel of Gibsons and have owned 2 335s, an LP and a 345 all with covered HBs - that just didn't stick. All sounded GREAT when someone else played them.

Then I traded the 345 for a PRS custom24 with uncovered HBs - it makes all of the sounds that I seem to like.

Difference? Hell yes...

rawkguitarist

I've not done multiple experiments with multiple types of covers. But I did put raw nickel covers on my Lollar Imperials in my Koll semi-hollow. I chose the raw nickel covers since they're *supposed* to affect the pickup's sound the least. They dropped the treble/clarity *significantly*. Pulled them in just a few days.

jgyn

I like covered for looks.
FWIW, I read in some book about guitar pickups that Seth Lover designed the humbucker with covers in mind.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom