• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Covering Sharp Dressed Man....Any Tips?

slpayne

Hi all,

First time ever doing cover work, and for an 80's themed campus talent show some friends and I are doing Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top. I'm sure most of you have heard it/done it yourselves...so is there anything i should know going in? Any tricks to make the riffs easier, any tricky riffs that I should practice more than others...Also, I don't have a slide, so any suggestions for comping a similar solo without the slide? Thanks!

Rockledge

It isn't really a very hard song to play. Mr Gibbons is a genius, but not real hard to copy.
If I remember right it is in the key of C, but some guys like to do it in A for singers, make sure your singer can do it in the key you play it in.
And, don't use too much distortion. A big mistake a lot of guys make with BGs guitar style is that they try to get that hard driving sound by getting too much distortion.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
There are two very distinct guitar parts in that song. I've never heard a single guitar cover it properly. Even ZZ Top uses backing tracks when they play it. I'd pick another song.

slpayne

yea i have a killer vocalist...its the guitar solo and background im worried about...im the only competent guitarist in the band...

wes37

Silver Supporting Member
I figured out the solo in standard tuning without slide, and it helps to bend into notes where Billy did so with the slide. Using a trem bar helps if you have one.

Not the same song, but here's my version of "Gimme All your Lovin"...also figured out by ear. Try to avoid tabs, but you probably already know that.

www.soundcloud.com/wes37/amplitube-marshall-clip

TB72

The solo is quite easy to cop without a slide. Billy Gibbons doesn't even use one on it when they do it live. Check out some live clips.

Later...

Gretsch6136

If you have two guitarists, play the riffs in a call and response manner......

Guitar one plays the G - Bb - C riff in first position, then pedals C in straight 8s under guitar 2.

Guitar 2 plays the double stop licks at 8th position.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom