Covering the SRV tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mitch236, Oct 16, 2008.

1. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I have a problem. I play mostly rock but some friends want to cover some SRV so I am trying to cop a tone as close as I can get given the equipment I have. I usually only play LP's but I do have a PRS CU22. I use a Budda SD45 into a Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks. Can I get the tone with just this or would I need an effect or should I just give up. I've been told I will never get the Strat sound out of a PRS (or a LP). I'm not trying to get his Vibe tone, just his cleanish blues tone.

What do you think?

2. karmadave

karmadave Member

It'll be tough, to approximate SRV's tone, without a Strat and Fender Blackface-style amp...

-KD

3. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

I would agree it will be very tough to get real close because your gear is completely different from what he used...

4. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, there's guys that have ALL the right gear and still aren't there! Me included.

That said, my band buddy has an early 70's SG that I have heard him play Pride and Joy on and it is very convincing.

5. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I think you can get ball park with your set up, no need to be spot on. Plus a little bit of your own tone may make it more unique than the standard knock off.

6. Arp488

Arp488 Member

Honestly, not to be a dick at all but just play the songs you want to cover with your tone. In my opinion if i go see a band and they do some cover songs i want it to sound like them not the original artist. i also think that you will be far less frustrated when using the equipment you have and using your sound. to put it this way the audience wont know that your tone is different, and if u have good tone already pride and joy will sound like pride and joy, and texas flood will sound like texas flood. just set the amp a little on the clean side with a pedal for grit or use your volume control! just my .02

7. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

hmmm, wonder if SRV ever picked up a LP though a Marshall. Wonder what that sounded like?

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

You gotta gave a Strat. A black face amp would help too. A lot.

I used a Peavey Classic 50, 2x12 years ago with a Strat and that did a very acceptable SRV tone, so there's one alternative.

Arp488's view isn't unusual among musicians but the average person likes it when you sound "just like the record." If they like you, you get asked back.

Years ago I saw a local band playing Cold Shot and the guy used a Tele....the bridge pup! It would've been ok if he used the neck but, wow, was that ever hard to take. I love Tele's too but a Tele bridge is light years from a Strat neck. That song got a very polite reaction from the crowd.

Good luck in your search.

9. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I'm not trying to sound just like SRV, I just want a passable tone. My clean tone just doesn't have that tone and if I add more gain, it just gets more hair. I guess it's hard to explain. Is there a pedal I can use to get me closer?

10. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Use your clean channel and spice up with an Overdrive from the Tubescreamer family.

11. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

A strat is the foundation of the tone.. It's not just the pickups, it's the heavy strings, high action and the way he attacked the strings. It just can't be done with a LP type guitar. Amp wise.. Clean amp setting.. turn down/scoop the mids.. I like the Rocktron Austin Gold to get that cleanish kind of OD tone.

12. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

tuning down a half step will help too.

13. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

A simple SRV tone is this: Strat on the neck pickup, heavy strings tuned down a half step, guitar into a Vibroverb or other 60watt+ fender amp, tube screamer. Oh yeah, you also need the strongest hands in the world

14. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

All this is nonsense. He's not looking for exact tones, just similar.

I boil it down to needing single coil pickups.

You'll need single coils for the spank and scooped tone. Humbuckers have a tonal response completely different from singles.

Ever thought of getting those nifty pickups for your PRS that you pull a switch to turn half of the humbucker off? Making it a single coil PRS?

I'd go that direction.

Everyone else talking about strings, fender, fingers...blah blah, are simply regurgitating the internet chatter. If you were looking for exact tones, we would go down that route, but thats not what you are after.

(BTW, I used to use a Budda SD80... the clean channel on that thing was AMAZING for the stevie tones)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  15. JPP2422

JPP2422 Member

I agree. Use your own tone first. SRV songs can sound pretty nasty with a Humbucker and even an overdriven amp if its just a good tone you are after to cover the songs. Now if you're going for all out accuracy...thats a different ball game

16. shngn7

shngn7 Member

If you don't want to get a new guitar + amp or neither I think the closest you will get with spending little money would be to use your LP on the middle position with the bridges volume turned down a little into a TS808 or clone set as a clean/low gain boost into a cleanish amp setting. That's what I would do just to get by playing one of his songs without worrying too much about sounding exactly like him. You definitely won't be able to get the Strat + BF style tone with your rig but just as long as you got a light-gainish, not too trebly setup going on I would be happy and it would give you the opportunity to sound like yourself. That's just what I would do if I was in your situation.

17. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

You defintely don't need to give up. And, no you're not going to get single coil sound from those guitars. But, you can still get a great sound that can be reminiscent of SRV as long as the playing is there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp7iAOwV-OA

It's probably impossible to get the Riveira Paradise tones with your setup though.

18. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I think it is quite possible to get close enough (for a cover anyways) with your PRS and neck pickup, but do try turning your volume knob down on the guitar to smooth things out a bit by keeping the signal to the amp weaker.
    I agree that for covers you don't have to be spot on, but I think you realise this by your post.

19. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, it's on record that SRV used Fenders, Marshalls, Hiwatts, Dumbles, and Magnatones for amplification.

Just use your ears!

Cheers...

20. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

IMHO that sounds nothing like SRV.