COVID cancellation: was I being unreasonable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Average Joe

My cover band had a gig booked for the weekend. It's a booking that's almost a year old. Problem was, the private party we were supposed to play broke the latest COVID rules regarding crowd and room size. Too many people gathered in not enough space. The people throwing the party wanted to go through with it, and indeed did so. Most of the band felt there were workoarounds. Personally I thought they were fooling themselves, looking for loopholes or flat out making excuses for not following guidelines. after the last tightening of COVID guidelines some 2 weeks ago I flat out told them I wouldn't do it: Participating in other people's irrational behaviour is not a requirement in this situation. We couldn't find a sub and had to cancel.

Some of the other band members are pretty pissed off, feeling that it was unprofessional to cancel - that it's unreasonamble for a band to cancel if the customer want to go through with it. I think it's unreasonable to expect us to endanger ourselves because our customer is unreasonable. I'm worn pretty thin from this whole lockdown-reopening-locking some things down again dance, and months of seeing people behave like their lesser selves havent made me any more patient, nor likely to participate in any of it

We're all day jobbers doing this for fun - I might have gone through with it if livelihoods were at stake

weevilcaster

If you were not comfortable playing the gig, you did the right thing. If the people booking you for the gig didn’t want to follow the guidelines/rules put in place, why should you risk your life?

I look at it like this, your band mates might be upset they didn’t play this gig because you were uncomfortable doing so. But if you or some of your band mates get the Coronavirus & die you don’t get to play any more gigs, ever.

Plus, if you did get the virus, but didn’t show any symptoms. You & your band mates might have ended up giving it to someone in your family, people at work, friends, etc.

Average Joe

Did you cancel on the spot?
Not sure I understand the question.
w-w-w-wait a moment...

you didn't ask your bandmates prior canceling? wow, ok....

I would be PRETTY pissed off then too, and pretty sure think about losing you as a member. not because you canceled, but because you didnt ask the bandmates to do so. or did you?
I didn't cancel he gig. That's not my prerogative to decide alone. After a day or so of arguing with the rest of the band about the ramifications of the latest COVID guidelines I told them I wasn't doing it. If they had found a sub and gone through with it I would have thought them foolish, but it's not my right to stop them. I wasn't going.

Last edited:

wire-n-wood

Supporting Member
I don't know where you are, what the covid scene is like there, or what are the guidelines in your area. So can't assess that.
But we all need to pull our heads in for a year or more till the geniuses work out a vaccine. I'm with you. Don't be part of the problem. Hold the fort, bide our time, stay healthy, reduce transmission.

Braciola

Silver Supporting Member
My cover band had a gig booked for the weekend. It's a booking that's almost a year old. Problem was, the private party we were supposed to play broke the latest COVID rules regarding crowd and room size. Too many people gathered in not enough space. The people throwing the party wanted to go through with it, and indeed did so. Most of the band felt there were workoarounds. Personally I thought they were fooling themselves, looking for loopholes or flat out making excuses for not following guidelines. after the last tightening of COVID guidelines some 2 weeks ago I flat out told them I wouldn't do it: Participating in other people's irrational behaviour is not a requirement in this situation. We couldn't find a sub and had to cancel.

Some of the other band members are pretty pissed off, feeling that it was unprofessional to cancel - that it's unreasonamble for a band to cancel if the customer want to go through with it. I think it's unreasonable to expect us to endanger ourselves because our customer is unreasonable. I'm worn pretty thin from this whole lockdown-reopening-locking some things down again dance, and months of seeing people behave like their lesser selves havent made me any more patient, nor likely to participate in any of it

We're all day jobbers doing this for fun - I might have gone through with it if livelihoods were at stake
Good on you man, you did the right thing.
And to anyone who feels differentially......... :tapedshut

mustachio

Paramedic here in MA. COVID19 is not over. Horrible way to die not being able to breathe. I've taken more 40-50 year olds than 65 y/o's. Cases have gone down thanks to Massachusetts' respect for science and 15 minute test results, but there's an uptick and I've already taken two kids from middle/high school. It's not over, people (unless you're one of the unlucky 200K casualties) Be safe and wear a mask.

And to the OP, if your bandmates are mouth breathers and give you crap for even thinking cancelling a gig, playing sweet home for a bunch of Bud-drinking-contrarians isn't worth risking it and you should evaluate your commitment to your band members. Just a gig.

roverdog

I have played a couple of times during the summer, outdoors. The numbers are now rising again where I live. Once booze starts flowing, everyone totally forgets about Covid, even with the organizers trying to follow the guidelines.

You all have day jobs, so in reality, the band is a hobby. I think you have to find different people to enjoy your hobby with, if they are upset with you. These are not normal times.

I would have done the same as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.