COVID - learning DAW software experiment

ThemBones24

During COVID, I dusted off my guitars that have been sitting around for years and learn a DAW software app. This is more a proof of concept first attempt guitar instrumental. I'm not playing with anybody so I experimented programming the drums, synths, etc. All in fun and nothing serious.

ThemBones24

Concept proved. I'm assuming you've had a little experience recording before. :cool:
Thanks, I've never recorded anything before. But, I am a software engineer by day and have to learn new apps from time to time. Also, I've been playing around with a lot of guitar pedals prior so I figured this might be a similar merging of the two skills. Lol.

BigBadOrange

Silver Supporting Member
A nice start! As a long time home daw user. Learn how to use your mixer templates since most of the time you are mixing yourself and you will probably lean towards the same tones and mixes. Having a really good drum mix set up for Everytime you record is really handy. Essentially you can have a "master" mix saved and ready to go no matter what your doing.

journo

VERY good first attempt! As someone who mainly writes instrumental music, I'm looking forward to what you'll do next.

Cheers,

Mats N

ChrisB

If you hadnt said it was your first attempt I would never have known. Sounds fantastic. What did you use for the guitars?.

ThemBones24

A nice start! As a long time home daw user. Learn how to use your mixer templates since most of the time you are mixing yourself and you will probably lean towards the same tones and mixes. Having a really good drum mix set up for Everytime you record is really handy. Essentially you can have a "master" mix saved and ready to go no matter what your doing.
Thanks. Yes, I will definitely have to study up on the mixer templates. Trying to create a second song and I basically had to reset the tracks up again from scratch with Ampire, etc. I knew there had to be simpler way to retain favorites.

ThemBones24

Thanks but I meant how you recorded them? Miced amp/direct/amp plugin etc?
I used Ampire plugin (Panoptican with Marshall simulator on verse part, Surfing in a Blue Dream with Marshall for solo) in Studio One 5 with an EVO 4 interface. Then, I played around with filtering on the guitar tracks to get as "thick" as best I could.