Covid's dividing the band...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Collins

So ever since covid hit the scene it's been more and more difficult to get together with anyone let alone getting the band together for practice. Starting in March I've personally taken the virus very seriously, have socially distance myself, started wearing masks and still am washing my groceries. That being said after things started calming down around June/ July (in Europe) I began getting out more for work and whatnot still wearing masks and distancing myself as much as practical.
I currently am playing with one other member as a duo "band" (she sing, I play guitar). Well here's the kicker, she doesn't believe in the virus nor takes any precautions. Infact is offended by the sight of masks... We couldn't be more divided in our beliefs. So we got together a couple times in the past couple months, sometimes her place, sometimes mine, keeping distance and using a decent air purifier between us. Now the virus numbers have been increasing past the point of ignoring the elephant in the room, so I've built a half closed vocal booth/ room divider built out of plexiglass and told her I only feel comfortable practicing in this situation. She now has blown off practice saying that she'll let me know when she's in the mood to play in my "medical center".

Like most of you I've acquired lots of new and exciting gear lately and really want to play, but don't know how to get past this virus. Anybody else have this band divide going on and figured out a way through it? Got any better ideas for safe playing?

-sku-

So ever since covid hit the scene it's been more and more difficult to get together with anyone let alone getting the band together for practice. Starting in March I've personally taken the virus very seriously, have socially distance myself, started wearing masks and still am washing my groceries. That being said after things started calming down around June/ July (in Europe) I began getting out more for work and whatnot still wearing masks and distancing myself as much as practical.
I currently am playing with one other member as a duo "band" (she sing, I play guitar). Well here's the kicker, she doesn't believe in the virus nor takes any precautions. Infact is offended by the sight of masks... We couldn't be more divided in our beliefs. So we got together a couple times in the past couple months, sometimes her place, sometimes mine, keeping distance and using a decent air purifier between us. Now the virus numbers have been increasing past the point of ignoring the elephant in the room, so I've built a half closed vocal booth/ room divider built out of plexiglass and told her I only feel comfortable practicing in this situation. She now has blown off practice saying that she'll let me know when she's in the mood to play in my "medical center".

Like most of you I've acquired lots of new and exciting gear lately and really want to play, but don't know how to get past this virus. Anybody else have this band divide going on and figured out a way through it? Got any better ideas for safe playing?
LOL, hope this is not a bait thread

AA864

This part is very telling....
>> We couldn't be more divided in our beliefs. Hmmmm ... 'beliefs'

This all comes down to what part of the media story you or her believe to be true/accurate/science.

It also comes down to respecting each others beliefs. Does she respect your position? Doesn't sound like it. Do you respect her beliefs?

I have no answer for you, but the way you state your case is very interesting.

I'm curious though, after you are done rehearsing in your 'medical center', how do you intend to play a live gig outside of your home with actual people in attendance.

Last edited:

RG7X

Supporting Member
LOL, hope this is not a bait thread
Seriously... but there's not much to say. OP, Without knowing all the dynamics of your interpersonal relationship, it's hard to give specific advice. Talk about it open and honestly, one and one and hopefully you can resolve this amicably.

Last edited:

tiktok

Supporting Member

There' s no "getting past the virus" at this point. There are things you can do to reduce your exposure and risk for a given situation, and you need to make sure that the people you're playing with are operating at at least the same level of precaution as you.

Given the fact that the virus is evolving to become much more contagious, and that the likelihood it's likely spread via aerosol transmission, I'd avoid playing music with folks until there's a widely distributed and effective vaccine. Particularly if playing music isn't your means of earning a living.

Chris Collins

This part is very telling....
>> We couldn't be more divided in our beliefs. Hmmmm ... 'beliefs'

This all comes down to what part of the media story you or her believe to be true/accurate/science.

It also comes down to respecting each others beliefs. Does she respect your position? Doesn't sound like it. Do you respect her beliefs?

I have no answer for you, but the way you state your case is very interesting.

I'm curious though, after you are done rehearsing in your 'medical center', how do you intend to play a live gig outside of your home with actual people in attendance.
Thanks for the input. I agree it is a dilemma and understand/ concerns for one's beliefs are needed. Getting together at all has been a compromise to my true beliefs, that being said quiting playing or or at least the attempt to play is a compromise of my love for our music. It's truly heart breaking

sonofspy

You're correct. She's an idiot, or as we medical pros put it:
a "Covidiot". Anyone who poo-poos a deadly plague with 7 million cases worldwide is not worth losing your life or
potentially having several vital organs failing post-infection. Find someone who still has two neurons to rub together.
Live long and prosper.

Chris Collins

I'd tell her to hit the bricks.... NEXT! move on. I personally am in no hurry to get back to playing live. Maybe take the time to work on your chops, or find someone you can dropbox ideas to if you are doing original stuff.
Understandable. I live in Switzerland where it's not so easy to get out and just meet other musicians that have similar music taste and connect. Wish it was.

PBO Blues

I stepped away from a project (trio) in April under the very same scenario. No hard feelings, but a mutual acknowledgment that we each had differing viewpoints on the seriousness of the situation. My wife and I are of an age to which Covid is not as forgiving and we each have skeletons in our medical closets that are of additional concern. "Playing out" can wait a little (or a lot, if it comes to that). Yes, it hurts. But it doesn't kill, even if the odds are long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.