Cowtipper 45 Pro II or Victoria Amps Golden Melody

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cander328, May 19, 2011.

1. cander328

cander328 Member

I have both of these in my sights and need to decide on one or the other. I am looking for the one with the most clean headroom, the most Fender BFDR type clean, and the best pedal platform. Which one?

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I think the two amps are going to be quite similar in sound, the Bruno has 2-knob reverb and no trem, the Vicky has single knob reverb and trem. I think both amps are going to sound a bit different (bigger low end, warmer overall) than a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

3. cander328

cander328 Member

I think I am leaning towards the Golden Melody but tough call

4. karmadave

karmadave Member

There's a Golden Melody for sale in the Emporium if your interested. I know the seller and he's very trustworthy.

5. cander328

cander328 Member

Played a Golden Melody and really like it! The tremolo is unreal and it sounds gorgeous. It does breakup some in a tweed sort of way through input one and I am assuming the "bassman" front end refers to a tweed bassman - correct? For better or for worst it does not sound like a BF Twin Reverb. Now I need to try a Bruno CT 45 Pro II!!!

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Were you using a humbucker or Fender single coil guitar? (I always thought these were clean machines)

7. cander328

cander328 Member

I was using a HB in the bridge and a Firebird in the neck. Lot's of clean headroom for a 40-60 watt amp but not completely clean past 5 and lot's of breakup by 7.

8. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Don't know if you saw this add but I figured you need to! Don't know this gentlemen however I do know that he always posts intelligently! As a side note I heard Mark Baier play the Golden Melody at the factory a couple years ago and I thought it was both Black Face and Tweed with tons of headroom with the Tele he was using, not sure about buckers though. I own a Bruno Tweedy Pie and it is by far the best 5E3 Tweed amp I have ever played by a huge margin but there's no mistaken, it's roots are Tweed yet there's a clarity and clearness I've never before experienced before in ANY amp.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=893003

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  9. vibrato fingers

vibrato fingers Member

I have a Golden Melody with a road case in the emporium if your interested

Vibrato Fingers

10. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I have a Golden Melody and have owned in the past a CT45 and a CT35 Pro II (though not a CT45 Pro II). They do fall roughly in the same general tonal camp but they are certainly different enough to have a preference.

Overall, the Bruno is more in the blackface camp. The Bruno has sort of soft and round low end with a lot of give. It gives it a very lush feel. The Brunos also have a very nice high end - it's clear without being ice picky. The reverb is also consistently excellent on the Brunos.

The Golden Melody is more of a Tweed/Blackface cross. It's not as scooped and the mids are more forward, and the bass is a bit more punchy. It gives it a glassier, punchier feel compared to the Bruno. The reverb on the Golden Melody is very good, though I slightly prefer the Bruno (but then the Bruno is pretty much the best reverb I've ever heard). The trem on the Golden Melody is out of this world.

Both have a good amount of headroom, but they break up a little differently. The GM stays very clean at low volumes but will start to break up with humbuckers without getting obscenely loud. When it does break up it has a very tweedlike grind. The Bruno's broke up more like a blackface - not as tight a grind.

Both are top notch amps. If you can play both, that'd be the only way to figure out which would be better for you but I tried to describe them as much as possible. Happy to answer any other questions if I can.

11. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

There's really only one solution... I think you're gonna have to get one of each.

12. cander328

cander328 Member

That is what I am thinking :cool: