Cowtipper 45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Jan 11, 2006.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I was wondering if people would say this has enough clean headroom for loud gigging? Also, how does it sound cranked up? Good? Or does it sound like the devil farted and a monkey is dying loudly? Thanks.

2. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Where do you gig loud? I'd assume the amp pretty much ONLY has headroom.

ERIC

3. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

You should definitely buy the Cowtipper 180 to make sure you have enough headroom.

4. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I have the 22-watter. It's not very loud, but it's nothing but headroom.

5. Jerrod

Really? In all seriousness, I have the CT22 also, and from about 5+ on the volume knob, the amp doesn't get louder, just grindier. It's not a high-gainer (or even a medium-gainer really) but when it's dimed it's dirty.

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Something is wrong. Mine gets into serious crunch with humbuckers by the time I am at 12 O'Clock on the volume knob. I actually would like it to have a bit more headroom. A Cow 35 is next.
    :BEER

The 45 sounds fantastic way up loud. It gets crunchy as well. Just like the best blackface SR you can find, but with a tighter bottom and sweeter highs. Nothing, and I mean nothing has a better clean tone than the Bruno Cowtippers. Zilch, goose egg, zip, cero, none, bagel, nada, nothing. :D

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Great clean on the 45, plenty of headroom. Sounds like **** when dimed.

8. GM1

GM1 Member

What do you consider loud gigging? I play small to medium size clubs with mine and it has so much headroom I ordered a Cow 35 just to try get a little more response at the volumes we play. The Cow 45 has a lot of headroom, I run mine at about 10:00 oclock on the volume. I have been gigging lately with 1x12 but have also used a 2x12 the Cow works well with both. We also mic our amps so I don't need a real loud amp.
    The Brunos sound great at low volumes which is one of the reasons I like them so much. The Cow also sits really well in the band mix, works pretty well with pedals. The Cow does not have a lot of gain so I have found you tend to push your pedals a little more to get some compression for lead tones.

9. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

mine was like that , too.

10. 57special

Your post (and a few others) are making me think that all CT 22's aren't created equal.

11. 57special

Believe it or not, my older CT 100 (circa mid 90's ) had a better break up tone than the CT 22 we both had. And that was with Weber Californias (JBL clones)!

12. Jerrod

This I can believe. It's a handmade amp.

13. Tag

I have played about 5-6 of them now, and they were all the same. I have played 2/12 (or 2/10s) and 1/12 combos. Here is a clip of mine wide open to show that it crunches BEAUTIFULLY. Every one I have played has been just like it. If you guys could post a clip of yours wide open, we could settle this real easy. This is with a PRS with Dragon II Pups. Bottom clip here... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=121826

14. Tag

Lou,
    I used to think the same thing, but now I realize that is just the sound of vintage blackface amps dimed. I know, I owned 3 of them. :) (Still have one and a SF) Ill do a clip of my Cow 45 dimed later this afternoon when my neigh bors are all awake. :D It sounds sweet as anything. Ill post it as soon as I do it.
    :BEER

15. 57special

The person who sold me the amp said it didn't "crunch", I did't feel it had any dirt to speak of , and the person i sold it to felt the same way all GP members). Someone else has posted above saying how his CT22 (a recent one) doesn't have any OD. Ken Volpe considers it a clean amp. Others, mainly yourself, are saying it's a crunchy amp. Fine, hence my comment that the CT 22's aren't created equal. Some are hotter than others. Seem sensible?
    Am i saying it's a bad amp?
    NO. Fabulous clean amp. Little to no crunch, however, even with PAFs. I don't use overwound Pups, so i can't speak to that.

16. GasMask

GasMask Member

The best clean tone I have heard as well. To my ear, it's the perfect clean! :AOK

17. Tag

Its simple. Listen to the clip. Words only mix things up. "He said she said" means nothing. Listen to the clip. If thats crunch to you (which it most certainly is to me), then its crunch. If not, then its not. It crunches EXACTLY the same as my 66 Pro Reverb and 66 Super Reverb. Some guys say that blackface amps are totally clean. (A Marshall friend of mine thinks that) Others like myself, think its crunch. The clip says it all. :AOK

18. Jerrod

Could be output tubes and bias settings too.

19. John55

John55 Member

After listening to Tag's clip I wouldn't call that "crunch" in the way I think of it. I'd call that "pushed Fender BF" tone at it's best, clean with a bit of hair around the notes. Perfect for blues and light rock but certainly not "crunch" in a Marshall context. I'd have to believe a slight boost from an OCD or other pedal would put it into a nice medium gain really quick.

20. Jerrod

Yeah, I would call it "dirty" or "overdriven" but not "crunch".