1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cowtipper Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 6120, Nov 19, 2005.

1. 6120

6120 Member

I will be ordering a Cowtipper amp on the advice of some very respected players and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how exactly to configure it. I was thinking of a Cowtipper 45 head and 2x12 cab. What would be the absolute(money no object) speakers and configuration? Any options or tubes to specify? Thanks

2. GasMask

GasMask Member

Give the guys at Ultrasound a call. They are very cool and knowledgeable. I think they can give you all the answers you are looking for- which depend on exactly what you need. I was told that for what "I" was looking for, the Cow45 is the way to go. They specifically recommended the head and 2x12 cofiguration. I'm told the amp is voiced for the G12H, so that is a no-brainer! A $few hundred more will get you the NOS upgrade. Your needs may not be the same of course. I love that Cowtipper clean sound- just beautiful! To me it is the standard by which the others are judged:AOK

3. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

I have a CT and tried it through a bunch of 2-12 cabs that I own. I have many....with the following pre-rola/rola celestions 1. G12H 2. Silver Alnico, 3. G12M 4. G12M - 20W & 5. 25W Blackbacks. The winner was......A 1965 2-12 Blackface Fender Cab ($375 shipped in great condition) with those black whatever speakers and the fiberglass insulation inside. I think the cab and speakers are spongey and totally Fendery sounding....no surprise huh!

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

If Your recording go CT 22 with 2 Celestionblues

If you gigging go Cow Tipper 45 with Fanes.

I personally like Combos..........but thats your call. Best of luck, Tony is the man...........:AOK

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No doubt. :AOK

Best reverb on the planet...........like floating on a cloud. :eek:

6. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

I'd say to not overlook the Two Rock 2x12 with K&M 12-65's in it. That cab does the best job of the American sound as any I've ever heard. While it is open back, it's got an oval cut out on the back such that it is only open for less than 50%, probably closer to only 35% of the total back surface. Almost like a ported closed back. The speakers are some of the best I've ever heard.

7. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

My best advice for cow-tipping is to drive carefully across the pasture at about 3 a.m., get out while wearing sneakers, find a white cow with brown patches (the tone is better when they mooo!), and just push on it.

;) I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist.

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have the Two Rock cab and a Bruno 2\12. The 2\12 bruno cab sounds almost twice as big. The TR cab does sound more focused in higher gain situations, but even then, I prefer the openness of the Bruno Cab.

Get a Cow 45 with 2\12 G12h30s and the bright and mid switch, and the NOS upgrade. Maybe a head cab combo. The sounds are the best I have ever heard. (With the possible exception of my UG 30 and Cow 22) ;) Also, like OldSchool said, the Cow sounds AMAZING with 2 12 Clestion Blues. I still prefer the stronger bottom end of the G12hs, but for some reason, it just KILLS with the Blues. (This is coming from someone who does not like celestion Blues in general)

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

bruno 2x12 w/ g12h30's.

10. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

Tag, how old is that TR Cab?

Mine is one of the newer ones with the K*M 12-65's. 24" wide, oval cutout behind, speakers stacked. I love the thing. It is plenty "huge" enough for me.

11. Sean C

Sean C Guest

There are a lot of good answers to this question, but like some of the other guys, for my Tipper (which is now pretty much all I use), I've settled on a 2x12 (Sonic Cord - extremely under-rated cabinet maker) with Celestion Blues.

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That would be a CT 22 correct? That has got to be one of the best Combinations on the planet IMO...............

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

that's sayin a lot man! whatcha using for overdriven tones?

14. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Lovin' my CT90. Best cleans I have ever had. Using a pair of the new TR cabs with mine. One has Sumbag speakers the other a pair of TR 65s although I may swap out one for a 100 watt Fane Alnico and Weber Texas as that is a great combo with that head.

Sean it has been a while- hope all is well!

15. Sean C

Sean C Guest

Hey Lou! I'm using a Tim for clean boost/slight breakup, Cornish SS-2 for overdrive and Cornish G-2 for hyperdrive, all switched with a TC G-System. Sounds really good at reasonable volumes.

Steve Snider, tonemeister extraordinaire - how are ya, buddy? It's been way too long! Evan must be in grad school by now. I agree with you about the Tipper, though that TR Custom prototype I foolishly sold maybe could've given it a run for its money.

OldSchool - I have CT45. Wish someone I knew had a 90 I could try.

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

and the celestio blues handle the 45 watts? cool.

Heres a pic of my CT 100 loaded with fanes:

[​IMG]

17. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

SEAN C EMERGES! WHOA! Where HAVE YOU BEEN PAL! Jim

18. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

My sentiments exactly! Sean is the man and where the hell has he been? Sean's wit is severely missed by myself and others I am sure. I love the guy.Glad he surfaced for a post. Sasquatch is real!!!!!

19. Tag

Great to hear from you Sean! Hope all is well.

( By the way, nice amp you have there. :BEER )

20. Tag

I have to try that tomorrow. I have yet to plug my Cow 22 into the Cab with the Blues. If its anything like the 45 (which it should be) it should sound fantastic. You seem to have a nice collection of Brunos by the way. That Cow 100 combo looks sweet! I cant believe Ultra has never had one in (or a 35) any of the times I have been there. :(