Cowtipper

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Feb 20, 2006.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I was wondering if anyone with experience with these amps could tell me if they can get the more dumbley clean, where the mids are more present in conjunction with gettting the scooped BF tone? Also, is the high end sparkly or bell-like chimey? Thanks.

2. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I am terrible at describing amps, but the thing as a whole is just rich, warm, thick, and clear. Tag will be much, much better at this than I am...

Awesome amp.

3. mprvise

mprvise Member

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I've also got a Two-Rock and it does things the my little CT22 definitely cannot as far as the midrangy Dumble thing. Maybe the 45 can come closer to what you're looking for (Tag?). The highs - hmmmm, that's a tough one. To me they are just about perfect, somewhere between sparkle and bell, but never ever ice pick. Just a really great amp. I will never get rid of mine, that's for sure. :AOK

4. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

Not Dumbley clean to me, pure blackface but better. Real chimey on the upper end, very rich in harmonics, and can get an excellent scooped blackface tone. These opinions are based on a CT-45, a hell of an amp.;)

5. lv

lv Supporting Member

If you get one with the mid switch, yes.

6. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I have the mid and bright switch on mine. Very cool...

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

When I checked out the Cowtipper 45 at Ultrasound maybe 18 months ago, Gene mentioned that Tony had recently made a breakthrough where he can add a switch to the Cowtipper 45 that gives the option of a Dumble-like tone in addition to regular Fender Super Reverb-type tone the amp has (Bruno also makes a dedicated Dumble-style amp too, I believe). I'd highly recommend speaking to Gene (a truly great guy) if you're interested.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have a Bruno Super 100 and had a CT45 with the mid/brite switches. The S100 has much more of the Dumble type mids than the CT. The CT had a better BF type clean than the S100. In the end I just kept the Super 100 as it just an incredible amp and has the clean tones I like plus the incredible lead tones. The CT sounded great if you could get it up to about 1-2 oclock but it was damn loud. Great amp. I would have kept it but it was damaged in shipping and UPS picked it up and I spent the mony on a Connie:p

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

The mid switch on the Cows will get you close, but overall, I have to say no. IMO, (Thank goodness) it will never sound like Dumble cleans. The Cows, are always FAR, FAR better. Dumbles cleans are not as detailed, have less chime, and less bottom end. Also less pick responsive, probably due to the SS rectifier. I think it is the LACK of bottom and top, more than a ton of midrange that makes Dumbles sound so middy. To me, the best Dumble cleans are like a very avarege Fender. Remember also that Dumbles have a SS rectifier, and the Cowtippers (except for the 90) have a tube. This also changes the tone and feel. I think the Bruno S 100 6L6, TwoRock Custom reverb and Opal all have cleans that are right on the money with Dumbles. The Bruno EL34 S 100 has cleans that just NAIL the Dumbles EL34 tones, and I actually like them (Dumbles El34) MORE than Dumbles 6L6 clean tones! Go figure.

10. highgeer

highgeer Member

I would say, no way. To me the mid switch makes the CT more tweedy not more dumbley. The dumbles and copies are way more focused, and to me, way better in a band setting. The CT is just too 3D and open(even thin) to pull off the dumble thing. The S100 or even an od-100 is a much better choice for a big, fat, focused clean.

Mike

11. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

well, you've probably gotten enough responses to answer your question, but i agree with the above posts in that a CT (at least without a mid boost of some kind) does not sound dumbly. (i happen to prefer the dumble cleans). but it's the best fender clean tone i've ever heard.

12. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I agree on 3D and open, but not on thin.

13. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have played three original Dumbles, for hours on end while A/Bing them with a Cowtipper and Fenders. I own both a TwoRock E.Pro, AND a Fuchs ODS, two of the best Dumble clones out there. I just have to disagree strongly. IMO, there is no setting in the world where a Dumbles cleans are going to be fatter than a Cowtippers. The Cowtipper is the deepest, biggest sounding clean I have ever played. Both the Fuchs and twoRock sound like practice amps in the cleans when A/bd with my Cowtipper. The Cowtipper sits "in the mix" as well as any amp I have ever owned. Then again, I have never owned (out of hundreds) an amp that did not sit in the mix well, or sound "worse" live.

The OD 100 clips I have heard I have disliked to put it mildly. Also, the mid switch (to me) does not make the Cow sound anything at all like a tweed amp. It could not be further from my old bassman. It does put it in the Dumble neighborhood, but thats about it. The bottom and top are always going to be more detailed.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'm far from knowledgeable on Dumble, only played one CT 45, for about 3 hours. The CT struck me as somewhat BF, with a fair amount of Matchless thrown in, depending on on how you set it up. Even that BF comparison is misleading. Sounds very different than my old BFSR, more like old twins in a way. There is more midrange in there than you get in the classic BF sound; the amp is very balanced, does not emphasize any one tone zone. It just sounds huge and beautiful, has a distinctive voice the comparisons don't really hint at. Great amp.

15. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I have mine dialed in with the mid-switch on and mids up relatively high. Playing with my fingers on the middle pickup (V60) on my Suhr is absolutely breath-taking. Thick, rich, warm, lively... and very easy on the ears.

I have my two ultimate amps. My ultimate clean amp (Bruno) and dirty amp (Aiken). I'm a happy person.

16. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

I have to agree with this I had a 6/04 Cowtipper with the mid switch and it sounded very nice, but it did not sound anywhere as big and punchy and ballsy as a Two-Rock Custom , let alone the Sig. And you can hear yourself much better in a band setting.