CP Jazzmaster Bridge Replacement

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by yurka723, Feb 16, 2012.

1. yurka723

yurka723 Member

The JM bridge can be somewhat troublesome, Iv been doing some research on what people are normally upgrading with. I would go with a Mastery, but its a bit out of my price range, and it may not fit, or so people say. Would love some confirmation on that. As of now, I am thinking about going with the Buzz-Stop and a Schaller roller tunematic. Any suggestions?

2. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

The CP has a tune o matic, right? What kind of issues are you having?

If it's the typical buzzy weird JM quirks, I would either.....
    - Learn to love it
    -Step up a gauge or two and it will be much more manageable.
    -Go for the mastery any way possible.

I thought the CP "corrected" typical Jazzmaster syndrome with increased break angle, tune o matic, and shorter string length behind the bridge. Can you give more specific symptoms?

Part of the Jazzmasters sound is that harmonically unruly quality that results from such a long string path- with the right setup it's fantastic- but initially it needs a lot of tweaking. JM's also love a fight, so if you can do it try 11's or 12's (you can still use regular roundwounds with a plain 3rd, I personally hate flatwounds.)

Also, I would steer clear of roller saddles unless you don't do a lot of string bending. Even the good ones can really kill sustain. You might be better off (if regular lubrication with powdered graphite and chapstick doesn't work) to try graph tech TOM saddles for your existing bridge.

3. yurka723

yurka723 Member

Yea, the typical buzz quirks, and I just have a problem upgrading everything. Has anyone made the Mastery bridge work for the CP Jazzmaster? From what I have researched, you just need to buy the correct thimbles.

4. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

Mastery sells their bridge to a lot of CP jazzmaster players. (per his response to me)
    i don't think it's worth it because the CP addresses the issues that the Mastery bridge is correcting

i put GFS roller bridge on my CP and it works really well
    it bends the pitch a bit further in both directions and holds tune really, really well.

if you have money to buy the Mastery then do it, i guess
    you're gonna spend another $100 having a local tech struggle getting the thimbles in & out
    ....and then a set up.

if you put a buzz stop on a CP Jazzmaster, you might as well buy a les paul..

5. GA20T

GA20T Member

I decided on a string gauge I'm going to stick with and have all but dunked the entire pos bridge in clear nail polish, which has solved the nasty, unpredictable rattles. If you don't like the high-pitched ringing of the strings behind the bridge on this model (I find it annoying), then a strip of electrical tape cures all that.

Despite Fender's good intentions, I ended up shimming my neck to achieve better break angle & string height anyways. Not sure why they haven't thought of addressing the pitch of the neck in its pocket rather than attempt to destroy what it is JM users like about the quirky design, which is the extra string distance behind the bridge.