Cp Thornton Rules: Hot Rod Classic 2 - OMG

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by hippdogs, Jul 31, 2019.

1. hippdogs

hippdogs Silver Supporting Member

I know that many of you are intimately familiar with Chuck Thornton's instruments. I've been a collector and user for over 15 years, having owned, played, and performed with a variety of his instruments. Until yesterday, I only owned 2, a Professional (one of his fist batch back in the early 2000's) and a Fusion which Chuck custom built for me. Today, in addition, I now own a 2019 Hot Rod Classic 2, 3-pup, state-of-the-art Telecaster style from Cp Thornton. Torrefied neck and body, Harmonic Design vintage plus pups, EVO fretwire (gives a coppery look, harder than nickel alloy, softer than stainless) and a killer "corvette" color maroon and white body. Bent top, radical body curve in the back.....the paint job is really magnificent. The sound has all the classic tones, with clarity, and punch. The 5-way switching substitutes a Neck-Bridge combo at the 3 position, instead of a single middle pup. 6lbs, 3oz. Hot Rod photograph by GP member Rowdyyates

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    fishleehooker, pats, Jaya and 13 others like this.
  2. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

red guitars sound the best, but blood red guitars sound better!

ps that thing looks AWESOME.

middlechainringguy and lifeson1 like this.
  3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Congrats.

I really dig the Fusion. You are right, Chuck's guitars are wonderful.

pats likes this.
  4. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

I think his Hot Rod Classics are his best work so far.

5. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

6. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

They’re pretty insane in person.

middlechainringguy likes this.
  7. hippdogs

24 hours later: My cp thornton hot rod II "telecaster" is proving to be a masterwork. The torrefied wood really makes a difference. Stable, light, resonant. I spoke with Chuck about the guitar today, and he reported that the Torrefied Nootka Cedar for the body is from a legally harvested fallen tree that was between 700-1,000 years old. The body is 1,000 year old wood.........!!!!!!! The Harmonic Design Vintage Plus Nashville set....the only thing I can compare these pickups to, is the difference between standard definition television, and high definition television. The articulation, clarity, and sustain is jaw dropping. I don't know how much of the 1,000 year old Nootka Cedar that Chuck Thornton has, but I intend to sell some instruments to collect those old wood guitars. They are something, very, very special. Of course it could be that Mr. Chuck Thornton is coming into a golden age of his instrument building and this is the start of an artistic breakthough in his creations. I feel like I need to apologize to my other instruments. Photographs by GP member Rowdyyates.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    ford, dangravano, Decal and 3 others like this.
  8. middlechainringguy

middlechainringguy Silver Supporting Member

So sweet. And red Hot Rods do sound so, so good ... Chuck is crushing it right now.

Mine. Edit to add: the painted headstock adds to the toanz. Because red headstock.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    ford and noley like this.
  9. middlechainringguy

... and because they *do* come in other colors:

Surf green with HD Z-90s. Suitable for both humanitarian and kinetic engagement.

remocity and rollyfoster like this.
  10. rollyfoster

Is that the one from Austin Guitar House that sold the day after Brent got me to check it out?

11. middlechainringguy

Ha! Yes, I guess it is. Honestly, maybe the perfect "one guitar." It can do jazz supper club to total mayhem.

Those Thorntons at AGH do have a way of walking out the door just before you pull the trigger, don't they? Happened to me on that dark green HTL recently ... I think that word is getting out about Chuck's work, and AGH is the place where you can play them head-to-head with other great builders' guitars. They don't suffer by comparison, that's for sure.

rollyfoster likes this.
  12. rollyfoster

You muddafugga!!!!!

I hope you love the hell out of it because I sure did.

13. middlechainringguy

Thanks, man. I do. I really do.

rollyfoster likes this.
  14. middlechainringguy

Hey, @rollyfoster, I don't mean to be too much of an enabler, but I think this one may still be on the wall at Austin Guitar House. Not surf green, I know, but "sonic blue/India ivory" is pretty sweet, too. And it's got one of his old growth Nootka Cedar bodies to to with the Harmonic Design Z-90s (my surf green is plain ol' pine ...)

[​IMG]

bsacamano and rollyfoster like this.
  15. hippdogs

Mark Knopfler in the house.....8 days later.....I use a TC Electronic Nova system for my effects and analogue overdrive (gigged with it for over 10 years). That feeds my Effectrode Blackbird pre-amp pedal. Combined with my Cp Thornton hot rod classic II (3 pup) this guitar nails the Mark Knopfler sounds. Kills it dead on. Here's a photo of my rig. Nova system into an Effectrode Blackbird tube pre-amp pedal (freakin' amazing blackface deluxe reverb in a pedal) and then into a Bose ToneMatch for my interconnect with my Bose L1 Model 2 with B2 sub PA system. I keep the Blackbird on the clean channel with just a touch of push from the pedal. I rely on the Nova system for all my overdrives and effects. The nova multi-bank, multi-channel effects monster. Each bank has 3 channels that I program with shared effects and increasing overdrive in each channel. What is particular wonderful about this set-up is that the Blackbird has 2 outputs, and one is a completely silent 600 ohm output that will connect directly with a PA. Because it uses a TRS connector (stereo guitar cable) you can have 30' of cable to connect to a board, and have absolutely no noise. Imagine no hum what so ever, and it is a 3-tube blackface deluxe reverb pre-amp pedal......Effectrode Blackbird!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  16. journo

journo Member

I'd love to hear a clip with this setup.

Cheers,

Mats N

17. hippdogs

I'm an idiot when it comes to recording but I'll try to sort it out.

18. jmelm

jmelm Member

Avid reader here but new member. By chance, I picked up this Classic II from Austin Guitar House (Z-90 in the neck and single coil sized Super-90 in the bridge).

https://www.austinguitarhouse.com/p...-series-521-surf-green?variant=18175209242721

Everything about this guitar is off the charts: the look, the paint job, the feel and the tone. I was immediately hooked on getting another and luckily am in the midst of selling a bunch of other guitars & amps and had a little extra to get another guitar or two.

I was deciding between something with 3 single coils (very much like the OP's beauty) and something custom like with the Lollar Regal Wide Range. I pulled the trigger on the latter because I don't have any guitars Wide Range pickups; however, going with the Lollars (true original WR size) would have necessitated a re-design of the pickguard and IMO detracted from the look. So I decided to go with The Creamery Baby '71 humbuckers (their HB size version of their WR). Jaime at Creamery said they're VERY close in tone to their full size WR, so I'm hoping to achieve that. Worst case scenario, at least with a standard HB sized rout, there's a million options to substitute if I don't love the p/us but hoping for the best :) Chuck will be putting on a 3-knob Tele switch plate so I can have 2 volume & 1 tone controls.

Going with the Twilight Turquoise color, so aside from having chrome pickup covers, it will look a lot like this one that was bought by Jason Newsted of Metallica. We also may or may not try a Mastery Hardtail bridge instead of the Kluson, though that hasn't been decided yet, as Chuck is going to test it out and see what he thinks.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 7:08 PM
    lifeson1 and middlechainringguy like this.
  19. middlechainringguy

Great first message, @jmelm, glad I could get in with like number one, and that Thornton is going to be killer!

Can’t wait for pics and clips ...

20. pats

pats Supporting Member

More proof that Chuck really delivers. I have 3 and the continue to the best sounding, most stable guitar that I have ever owned.

Starting to smell the gas....