cpacitors make big difference ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ang3lus, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Ang3lus

Ang3lus Member

After not buying the cables hype (before i came to this forum) and after trying the Van den hul cables and seeing there is a HUGE difference, i wanna try the next level, capacitors, i wanna buy 0.22 400v capacitors from WRC, question is, do they make a noticeable difference ?

2. jfromel

jfromel Gold Supporting Member

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=419909

Yes, caps make all the difference, re-cap every cheap piece of gear you own. I do a lot of amp mods and recently I totally re-capped a Fender Blues Jr, replaced all the EL caps with Nichon caps designed for audio applications, swapped all the film caps with orange drops, and all the ceramic caps in the audio signal with mica's. MMM good, also re-capped a Boss DS-1 just to see what it would sound like, tasty.

Just put a pair of those paper in-oil caps in my '89 Les Paul goldtop reissue, very nice.

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

+1. Caps make a huge difference in your tone. Many people who own a typical Les Paul you would pull off of a shelf at GC replace their caps with some good PIOs and would never go back to the old way. It can do anything from allowing more high frequencies to come out to smoothing out the higher frequencies into a creamier tone.

The caps that outtahear is selling are quality caps also. I did a 0.015uF neck/0.022uF bridge pair on my LP custom and it has never sound better. Plus, John is a great guy to work with. He answered all the questions I was on the fence about before I bought those caps.

4. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

"I wanna Cap!" I've been thinking about this for my Strat. What do you suggest (please be specific and detailed if you have time)?

vtg

5. soundbee

soundbee Member

do cap make a difference in a guitar if the volume and tone are maxed?

6. rollo greb

rollo greb Member

Are you guys talking about replacing the tone capacitor in a guitar? Because it really just bleeds signal to ground......

If you're wiring it so that you're signal passes THROUGH the cap, I'd use the film type. I've done this at it's very useful for cutting bass.

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Guitar caps...Disconnect the tone cap, disconnect the tone pot, disconnect the volume pot if you really want to pin down your tone losses. Then reconnect the components with jumper cables (not the ones from your car:D) one at a time and see how much you are losing at each stage. Try some cheap caps of different values before spending on mojo caps, IMO.

8. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Not really. If anything, you might get more of the high frequencies pass through if you use a lower cap value (like from .047uF to .022uF). But if you don't really use your tone and vol knobs a whole lot and just leave them dimed all the time, then you aren't going to hear much of a difference, let alone get your money's worth :)