Crack in Gibson ES335 -- opinions? Possible structural problem?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by wzzzmr, May 7, 2008.

1. wzzzmr

wzzzmr Member

Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker here..

I picked up my 2006 Gibson ES335 the other day, and was surprised to see a crack near its base. It looks like the top has separated slightly from the body (pictures attached, scroll below). Given the location, do you think the crack is a sign of a structural problem (that will worsen in the future)? Or is the crack merely cosmetic?

My initial thoughts: I guess string tension can pull the top off an acoustic or a classical. But is this possible for an ES335, given that the top is glued to the centerblock as well? I'm a bedroom player and i've been extremely gentle with the ES335 so far, so i suspect 2 likely culprits: (a) humidity, because its warm where i am, or (b) slightly shoddy construction.

Any ideas, anyone? :( I'm really hoping that this won't involve an expensive and complicated fix!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. alltone

alltone Member

I would suggest finding someone in your area who is a rep(salesman) for Gibson. They might like to see this and repair it for you. looks like a factory defect I.M.H.O...
    Good luck, Cheers, Doug.

3. patpark

patpark Member

it looks like the bottom edge has a crack also. What a repair tech will do is insert glue into the open crack, clamp it overnight and do some light sanding /refinishing work to the outside.

looks like it may have taken a fall on the strap button.

4. wzzzmr

wzzzmr Member

Thanks, I'll see what the dealer can do. I don't have very high hopes though, I've heard stuff about Gibson's return/fixes policy for international sales. I think my best practical solution would be for a local tech to see it instead..

5. David Collins

David Collins Member

In Singapore it seems almost all problems on guitars can be traced or linked to humidity, and it's likely that Gibson would tell you the same thing in regards to warranty - "problems caused by environmental conditions".

Heading to your local tech to see what they can do will probably be your best bet.

6. wzzzmr

wzzzmr Member

Yes, the weather here just isn't good for guitars. Electronics tarnish faster, and acoustic guitars tend to warp.. just didn't think it would happen for a semi hollow, which i thought would be tougher..