Crack in old 12 string heel !

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by donnyb, Aug 15, 2017.

1. donnyb

donnyb Member

Hi and thank you for taking a look at this.

Can this crack in a friend's neglected 1970s 12 string be repaired successfully in-situ ?

Or should (can) the piece be removed and re-glued ?

It opened up this evening after I had been humidifying the body space of this pretty much unplayable old girl over a 3 month period, very gradually getting the action from 1/4" (!) down to 7/64ths at the 12th fret. An "oh dear" moment....

Happened after I strung it up with 6 strings to pitch, and was enjoying my short lived triumph !

I guess all that movement didn't just go into the body top !

[​IMG]

I have high grade epoxy, Titebond Original, and slow to fast superglues.

Regards .

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

Not sure what the make of the guitar is (guessing a cheap student import) but I'd say if it came in to our shop we would turn it away. Not because it can't be fixed, but because for the cost of it you could probably buy 2 brand new guitars of twice the quality.

Now if you want to do a quick fix (again, I wouldn't), short of pulling the neck, rebuilding or replacing the heel, you could just cram some thickened epoxy in there and hope for the best.

Of course it sounds like it may have some other critical issues which would keep it from being a good player even if the heel were fine, which leads to the question of whether it's just time to say goodbye to it and move on to a new one.

3. donnyb

donnyb Member

THANKS David.

Its a 1970 approx. Maton CW 80/12 made in Australia. They make good guitars and I think in the 60-70s, an Aussie group called The Seekers used Maton 12 strings. The current Wiggles childrens' group use Maton. I believe this model was at the lower end of the range back then, but not sure.

If this was a lower priced model, is there a chance these 2 x pieces are more for cosmetic purposes and perhaps to also give the neck a bit more lateral support ? I mean,with the main strength for the neck to body coming from a heel block dovetail joint or similar fixing, that I cant see?
    If that is something that is occasionally done or used to be done, I will do the epoxy 'ram' and hope for the best.

I have some glue hypodermics coming in the mail, so I assume I would clamp it up as well ?