Crack Repair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by K-man, Mar 8, 2006.

1. K-man

K-man Member

I recently bought a Heritage H575 off eBay. Great guitar, only problem is I found a hairline crack about an inch long at the neck tone pot. I have a few questions for the luthiers/repairmen out there:

1. Should I repair the crack to keep it from getting worse?

2. If so, I was going to use some thin superglue and let it seep into the crack. Should I leave the repair at that or should I then apply lacquer, wet-sand and buff that area out? I'm wondering which will look worse, the hairline crack or the finish not blending in perfect after buffing.

Thanks.

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

If it's just a crack in the finish, I'd leave it alone.

If it's a crack into the wood - which you can check by pulling the pot out and looking into the cross-section through the hole - your superglue idea isn't a bad one. If I was to do that, I'd probably make sure the top was clean & free from glue & then leave it at that, not worry about doing a buff or spot-refin.

--chiba

3. K-man

K-man Member

The crack is through the wood. I'm guessing the guitar wasn't humidified properly.

4. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

It's hard to say w/o seeing it, but i'd reccomend a small patch underneath the top, as well as glue in the crack. I use hide glue, myself. SuperGlue should do, just be careful about marring the finish (tape it off on either side of the crack). Rubbing small amounts of shellac around the repair , and hand buffing after a couple of weeks, would be the way i'd deal with the finish problem, altho if you can get the crack tight enough and can eliminate excess glue on the top then i'd leave it.

5. K-man

K-man Member

The crack is tight. If you push on it from underneath, it doesn't open up. That's why I wanted to use a superglue with an almost watery consistency, so it will run into the crack. I don't think I could get glue into it.

6. John_M

John_M Member

My Larrivee C10 took a great fall one night. Top cracked, huge hole in the side.

The way they fixed my top was to put plain old white glue in there and reset the crack, letting the tension of the top set the glue.

IMO, you could just put laquer or urethane over it without the glue. That will stop moisture from getting in and making it worse - that's really the only thing I would be concerned about. Stability doesn't seem to be a problem.