Cracked screen on iPad Air

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Yer Blues, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

This has to be somewhat common. Did you take it to a local place or ship it back to apple? There's a place I pass on my way to work every day that gets good reviews on google.

2. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I recently cracked the screen on an macbook pro 15". They wanted $1,050 AUD to fix it. so maybe about $900 USD at a guess. That was to replace the screen and the aluminium screen surround (i.e. the lid of the clamshell).

I took it to an Apple approved service centre rather than the actual Apple store because it was more convenient location-wise.

3. mattball826

mattball826 Member

seems to be common. my son just closed his mbp and you heard this snap. the screen cracked at the frame of the bezel and across the front left side.

he had apple care he paid $300 extra for. they said f off. you broke it. not covered.

he said f u genius pos! week later bought a w8 laptop just as powerful for half the cost of fixing his mbp. his contract for repair was about $60 including accidental damage (they just replace the unit with one of equiv value).

idk even with our imac that was repaired 4x they insisted it was power surges in my home and not the unit. lol. we have 5 pc's in the same house. they didn't care.

really a pita when you drive 38 miles one way to get these looked at. take it home and t craps out again, and again, and again. then they say call your home owners insurance??

i cant stand that store.

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Matt, you just have bad luck with computers. 5-1 your kid cracks the screen on his W8 laptop in the next year...anyway, to answer the OPs question, I'd take it to a local repair place if it's just the screen. Should be around $100 or so. The reason Apple charges so much is that they give you a refurb and then rebuild the broken one to new specs and sell it again...nothing nefarious about that.

5. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Maybe it's his apparent fear of the shift key?

FWIW, Apple Care does not cover accidental damage. Apple Care Plus (phones) does.

Also, I've walked into the Apple Store with a non-covered iPad with a smashed screen and they swapped it for a refurb with no questions asked. It's worth a try.

6. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I walked in with a way out of warranty non Apple care covered MBP that wouldn't boot and they diagnosed it and fixed it for free. Turns out it was the third party RAM I put in and that was replaced for free by the RAM manufacturer, so it's back up and running with 16GB of RAM in it...

7. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

:facepalm
    I love posts like this.
    So much misinformation and ignorance.

8. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Never met so many idiots in one place as I did at the Apple "genius bar"......PRR

9. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

What were you doing there then? :facepalm

Sorry could't resist :)

10. Strugs

Strugs Member

I cracked an iPad 2 screen and had it repaired at a hole in the wall place for $80. A year and a half later it still looks new and works perfectly. Cant recall the quote the Apple store gave me but I think its was about double.

11. Faraldi

Faraldi Member

Looks a little involved but definitely do-able.

12. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

I was attempting to talk with the genie-asses- what do you think I was doing- signing up for the convent (big face palm for ya brah)? Prr

13. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

Just got done doing one on an iPad ll. Took me over 10 hours by the time I replaced the digitizer, WiFi antenna twice (first one was bad), and ribbon cable for the power and volume switches. Not like building/ servicing a guitar amp for sure. $28.00 in parts, already had the "specialized" tools.

14. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

figured you were trolling there like you're trolling here.

15. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Check out your screen name- pot calling the kettle black....Prr