Cracked top, neck, and back... (Humidification suggestions)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Trego, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Trego

Trego Member

I have a Baden A-Series Spruce and Rosewood (ALL SOLID WOODS) and recently the church that I am on staff at notched our heating up, and the guitar has been living on my wall in my office.

I pulled the guitar down today and noticed cracks in the center seem, along the bass side of the neck near the rosette, and a small crack on the center seem in the back. It is also experiencing the "corduroy effect" If I didn't know better, I would have thought this guitar took a fall. Very disappointed in our heating situation and my lack of foresight to humidify the guitar. I have two others that are in a colder environment, but experiences far less heat so they're not nearly as dried out.

I know that re-humidifying this guitar will help a lot, although it will never be "right" again.

What would you do? What are my options?

2. G Man

G Man Member

Bring it to a confident luthier, shouldn't be too hard to repair. And start humidifying immediately.

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Humidify first. It might take a couple of weeks. Sometimes those cracks just close up. Then take to a tech/luthier who will cleat it. Then keep it humidified properly. There's no reason to believe it won't play and sound as good as it ever did. Really.

4. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

I would just take it to somebody to have it looked at. While cracks do not usually worry me a whole lot, if you are talking about one running down the from the side of the fingerboard to the soundhole that could mean that the neck block has shifted. Not saying it has and I am not trying to ruin your day but it is something that you should have checked out.

5. Trego

Trego Member

That's good to know! Thanks very much!

6. Doctorshutout

Doctorshutout Member

Agree with Rusty....same thing happened to the soundboard of my classical....humidified properly, and ever since, and the tiny crack closed and had not returned.....if this doesn't work for you the only way out is through a luthier.

7. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

I recently had a humidity crack from the bridge down to bottom of the guitar. Called local luthier and he told me what was already mentioned here. Humidify it and it will close back, and to ensure staying closed he would then glue from the inside beneath the crack.