Cracking in the Fender HRdeluxe

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by fransoos, Aug 29, 2008.

1. fransoos

fransoos Member

Hi, need some info if possible, :(
    my HR is cracking when it gets warm, someone
    some info to fix it up.
    frans

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

My brother had the same problem with his Hotrod. A preamp tube change took care of it. He later found a bad solder joint on a preamp tube socket and replaced it. But start with a pre-tube change. No need to bias after a preamp tube swap. Do you know how old the tubes are?

3. fransoos

fransoos Member

I think about one year, bought them at Eurotubes, they
    lower the output of the amp from 40 to 30 watts.
    maybe it's the combination with the THD attanuator,
    the volume is always at home on 5 or 6.

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I can't say for sure it's pre tubes but thats a good, inexpensive place to start. Then again, if your running a hotplate all the time, your power tubes have been working harder than normal and could be an issue as well. I'd swap the pre-tubes first and work from there. Good luck!

5. fransoos

fransoos Member

oke, now I have lost of volume on the clean channel,
    the OD channe is a bit louder but normally I can't turn the volumeknob on 5 or 6 because of too much loudness.
    any info ?

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Well, it would seem your issues are beyond just some crackling! I'm out of advice besides taking it to a good tech!

7. AR-305

AR-305 Member

Recently serviced a Blues DeVille RI with same problem. Intermittent crackle, volume up and down and sometimes the ocean. The grid connection wire to V1b was just sitting in the hole, never been soldered. Easy fix.

8. BassHog

BassHog Member

These amps are notorious for their soldering problems.
    I would have an experienced amp tech go through the amp and re solder all of the important connections.
    I generally see these come into the shop with the input jacks having broken solder connections and the same with the pre-amp sockets and power tube sockets. Also have them check the plate resistors on the pre-amp tubes. I had one the other day that had very low output and one of the plate resistors in the phase inverter had failed open.
    There are also a couple of cement power resistors that tend to heat up so much that they cause the solder joints on them to liquefy and then harden again as a cold solder joint. This causes switching issues and noise issues.

9. fransoos

fransoos Member

thank you guy's, your info is much appriciated:)
    because of the cracking it could be a bad solderjoint.
    I shall take the HR to an experienced amp tech in neighbourhood of my hometown.. if there is one.