Crackling noise in my Hybrid build

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by bob-i, Nov 4, 2005.

1. bob-i

bob-i Member

I've had this amp for about a year and continually modding it. Right now it's pretty muc a Dumble Hybrid-A with some 97 type ckts.

I'm getting a terrible crackling noise from either the PI or output sections. I've connected the preamp to another power amp and no problem, plus it doesn't start until I hit about 11:00 on the preamp out volume.

http://www.patmedia.net/bob-ingram/Dumble/crackling.mp3

My PI voltages are B+ 386
    plate 1 222
    plate 2 232
    cathodes 72

The cathode seems high to me, I was expecting about 50-60. I'm wondering if this might have any bearing on the noise.

Another thoughts?

Thx.
    Bob

2. scottl

scottl Member

Maybe that is why the plates are really really low??

386 B+ should yield 280 or so on the PI plates......

3. bob-i

bob-i Member

I replaced the tail resistor with a 15K which brought the cathode down to 50V, but it didn't change the crackling so I put the 22K back. I forgot to check the plates.

I'm at a loss to why these voltages are off, and what's causing this noise.

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

So I swapped PI ground resistor from 330 to 820. The crackling stopped but the voltages are still off. :confused:

5. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

That sounds like distortion from parasitic oscillations. Use your scope and watch your waveform off the speaker jack. Try a small cap from the PI input to ground (like 10pF - 47pF). If it's PO's and lead dress doesn't clear it, that should do. Shielded cable to your power tube grids helps as well. -You might notice a little cut in highs with the cap fix...

BK

6. bob-i

bob-i Member

Thx... you nailed it.

I put the shielded wire on the output tube grids and maybe 80% of it stopped. I thin put a 47pF cap on the PI input and the rest cleaned up, with no real loss of highs, this amp has plenty of highs.

I wish my scope would pick these up but all I have is a 40 year old tune type scope and I don't think it'll pick up these VHF oscillations.

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Is there anything worse than PO?

8. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

I'd rather troubleshoot PO than stand next to someone with BO! -But PO sure sucks.

:D

BK