crackling on rectoverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 155, May 3, 2008.

1. 155

155 Supporting Member

when I turn the amp to pushed on the clean channel with the gain anywhere above 12 o clock I get this crackling sound mainly when using my bridge pup on a lp, I plugged my cab into other amps and I never get the same sound, check all the preamp tubes and nothing also the 6l6 are new so wtf? anybody experience this its like tube overdrive but too much. mesa rov, 2x12 mesa cab c90's, its only doing it when I play like power chords and it isnt as extreme with my strat but still there

2. 155

155 Supporting Member

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

My Rectoverb made two trips from VA to CALI before mesa got it fixed. Mine ended up being a loose/intermittent preamp tube socket. You could imagine how pissed I was because it took nearly two months it took for mesa to get it right.

4. Ironman

Ironman Member

Could just be the way the front end reacts to getting slammed with the mighty output of a Lester, especially the bridge pup. Try the same thing with a strat and see if she still cracks. Good luck.

5. 155

155 Supporting Member

yeah still cracks with the strat but not as bad, also why would the lp cause more because of the pup output?

6. Ironman

Ironman Member

Yeah, way more output with the LP! A LP will slam/overdrive preamp tubes before a Strat will which may or may not be a desireable thing. Sounds like that amp just doesn't have a smooth front end breakup when pushed. Maybe try an OD pedal set lighty and balanced with the amp if you're looking for a pushed clean tone.

7. 155

155 Supporting Member

thanks ironman I read alot about using ods with theses amps are there pre amps that would smooth it? what do you meen balanced with the amp?

8. Ironman

Ironman Member

If the crackling noise is a result of being slammed with too hot of a level you might not want to set the level of an OD pedal too high. Just balance it out to hit the sweet spot.

Have you replaced the preamp tubes? What's in there right now? I love the GT 12ax7 mullard reissues...that is, when I find one that doesn't end microphonic. EH's have been super reliable and are my favorite troubleshooting tube. Good luck!

9. wingnut1

wingnut1 Member

It could be loose pin sockets on the tubes sockets, try retentioning them. Could be a dirty pot, try working some deoxit into it. could be a bad cap that is leaking DC to the controls, measure for DC voltage on the side of the caps towards the controls and replace if found. Could be a cold or cracked solder joint, examine all the joints and reflow any that look suspect.

10. 155

155 Supporting Member

sounds complicated wingnut!

11. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Try and clean the tube pins as well as the tube socket with the cleaner they sell at Radio Shack. And try a few different pre amp tubes. Also check your cables and all connections. I'd actually check ALL the tubes, power and pre one by one. Clean and tension the power tube sockets and clean all pre amp tube pins and sockets and you should be ready to rock.:BEER

12. Ironman

Ironman Member

Most tube amp problems are the tubes themselves. It's always good to have known good tubes around to eliminate them right off the bat. Tubes are tubes, it's not uncommon to get new ones that are bad. Start with the easy stuff first.

13. 155

155 Supporting Member

yeah got some 6l6's on the way