Crackling Sound From Strat Neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rockindog, Apr 21, 2008.

1. rockindog

rockindog Member

I purchased a Fender Custom Shop Rocking Dog Stratocaster (Sea Foam Green w/ gold hardware) last summer. I have made no changes or mods to the guitar. It has the stock Lollar pickup set.

While it is a great guitar, it has a little electrical problem, i.e., when I run my left hand up and down the back of the neck, I get an annoying static crackling sound through my amp. No other Fender Stratocaster I have owned has had this problem. The ground wire to the tremolo claw seems intact, and the Lollar pickups sound normal. I am using 3 tremolo springs. I only get this cracking when I run my left hand up and down the neck while plugged in to my amp.

Does anyone know what causes this cracking sound and how it can be fixed? This is bugging the heck out of me. Thanks

2. adamzappa

adamzappa Member

If you dont have an aluminium shielding plate behind your pick guard you need to put some shielding tape all over the back of it. Take all the pups out and cover the inside of your pickguard with the tape. Cut out in the pup holes. Make sure your shielding touches the small shielding under the pots. That should do it, assuming you dont have the aluminium plate to start with. If you do have the plate then I dont know

3. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Does it do the same thing when you run your hand over the pickguard? If so, it's static build up. I've never experienced it, but I've head of guys fixing it with fabric softener/anit-static sheets - no joke. You just rub them on the pickguard, wierd but supposedly works.
    PS Is it dry where you live right now? That could explain the static.

4. Lance

Lance Member

No joke indeed!!! I have a strat, and it was doing something similar. It had been driving me nuts for two years, and then I saw a thread here on TGP about this issue. Went home that night, and rubbed a fabric softener sheet on the pickguard a few times, and GONE! It does seem to reoccur, so now your guitar case will smell like a fresh laundry. In other words, keep one in the case in a ziploc bag. The next time I change strings, I'm going to take the pickguard off, and cut a little swatch to put under there, in the hope of a more permanent solution. Try it out, with nothing to lose, and a major headache gone, to gain. Seriously, this drove me nuts for years!!!

5. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Interesting...thought I heard em' all but this one takes the cake..These home baked remedys are the best..sounds crazy but it works, very cool!