Crafted in Japan

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jcmark611, Feb 11, 2008.

1. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

What's everyone opinions of the current Fender CIJ product? Thumbs up or down? The '62 looks really sweet with those Texas Special pickups. Thanks.

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

I think the CIJ are great guitars right out of the box. You may want to change out all of the electronics...I didn't and am extremely satisfied the way it is.

The best thing I ever did for mine was having the guitar "pimped" by a luthier. He did a specific set up, tidied up the frets (they needed it). It is now one of my best playing guitars.

3. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

Thumbs up.. and I didnĀ“t had any problem with the electronics on a CIJ ST62-78TX I had. It came with Texas Specials.

CIJs are very difficult to get now due to recent pressure from Fender and Fender Japan. Most of the japanese online stores will not sell CIJ Fenders to foreign countries..

4. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

From clips I have heard I really like the Texas Specials.

Is it still okay to buy CIJ Strats off Ebay? Some dealers seem to score them new.

5. 205

205 Senior Member

I have a 62 re-issue and a 72 Custom, both excellent guitars.

My 62 came with the full sized pots which are good quality, but I replaced the crappy pick-up selector switch and also put a Seymour Duncan J.Donahue into the bridge. The original pick up was pretty good but I prefer the JD. This is my main workhorse.

The 72 custom came with the smaller pots, so it is hit and miss as far as what you get. Good pickups, good finish....

Both great value!

6. Slyib

Slyib Supporting Member

In the shadow of the Space Needle (Seattle, WA)
    I love my CIJ Strat 12 string. It plays every bit as nice as my earlier MIJ one. And it fits in a stock SKB Freedom rectangular case!

7. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

I bought a CiJ '62 RI Tele a few months ago, the one with American Vintage pickups rather than the Texas Specials. The body, neck, finish and frets are fantastic. So are the AV pickups. The rest of the electronics are not. The switch is already failing, particularly in the middle position and I think I'll need to have a new nut cut for it. There's also no shielding whatsover, and it hums quite a bit.

So, it's very good, but it does have shortcomings. I may be being overly critical, but I do think the prevelant opinions on guitar forums that these are somehow magical super-guitars needs to be tempered a bit. I think some of the better MiM Classic Series are on par with the CiJs--possibly with the same amount of needed tweaking--and if you're in the US, it'll be easier to try a bunch and find the one that speaks to you.

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

Big, big thumbs up. Replacing the electronics is no big deal and not all that expensive. The nut was cut fairly high on my 62 RI Tele Custom, but I think that's the right way to do it anyway. Leave the player the option to get the height they want.

They are outstanding guitars. You really can't go wrong. I loved mine. My bass player has stopped using his American Jazz Bass and Rick since he got his CIJ Jazz Bass.

9. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

10. edward

edward Supporting Member

Never owned a "CIJ" but own an "MIJ" ...it's a great guitar! Fit, finish, overall QC is superb, especially the neck (though I did replace the pups/pots). The CIJ is more of the same goodness in a newer, more upscale "Crafted in Japan" moniker. I love mine and haven't yet heard an ill owrd spoken of the MIJ/CIJs.

Edward

11. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

I can't speak to the Strats, but the Teles are pretty darn nice...

[​IMG]

12. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I have a mid 80's made in japan strat which I replaced the pickups and electronics and it is now every bit as good as a US made 57 reissue (and better than many) and at a fraction of the price. The neck is quite comfortable. The bonus is that the 80's MIJ models are actully starting to go up in price a bit.

13. Freedom

Freedom Member

Got my CIJ RI '68 strat on December...thumbs up here too...:AOK

14. bastet

bastet Member

I have an early 90's 62 RI MIJ Strat and quality is excellent, so much so - being in the market for a new Strat I am having trouble finding one that compares.

Custom Shop Fender's resonate more but pluged-in some don't feel or sound as good as my ol' guitar. Really :)

15. g335

g335 Member

The 62 is great. I have played it. Sounds good. They are worth the money.
    I live in Japan so I get to play alot of the CIJ guitars.

16. ricoh

ricoh Member

My mid 90's Jazzmaster is really well built and had a great sound right from the store. The neck has never been adusted and is perfect. The neck has mild flame and the body is 2 piece and matched nicely. A fine guitar all the way around. I don't know about the new ones!!!!!!!!!

17. crosse79

crosse79 Member

CIJ guitars are excellent. Very good QC