Craig Ferguson's Replacement

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TwoTubMan, May 27, 2015.

1. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

I've tried to watch. To say that I don't understand what he's trying to accomplish is a major understatement.

Tylenol Jones likes this.
  2. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

He is really struggling so far.

Bringing all the guests on stage and interviewing them all at once is very confusing. They
    tend to interrupt each other and ramble on.

3. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

Reggie Watts is too cool for school

perfect guy to lead a late night band

4. RedRock

RedRock Member

James Corden is constantly mugging, overacting and
    in a state of hysteria. He's unwatchable.
    CBS made a big mistake by giving him the show.

5. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

He's doing the same thing as Parkinsons, which is an English show.

I don't personally enjoy the format and I don't really subscribe to his brand of humor. He will most likely be replaced in another year or two. CBS did so with Kraig Kilborn who was also a major disappointment and not funny in the least to anybody.

6. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

I've tried to watch. I can't believe it's even on TV.

7. Stike

Stike Member

Yes!

8. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

The show is poor, however the optimist in me says that he should be given time to make adjustments. The cynic say that it will still be poor. I am not sure that the 12:35am slot is one for an entire show with One Direction. If he can't figure that out he's in trouble. I might give his show another go in six months.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  9. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Kilborn lasted 5 years, and left of his own volition (at least officially), which was the same length as Ferguson.

Not saying he was better, but I do think he did at least decent.

The good fortune for Corden is that there is no Colbert for several months, and they would be unlikely to cancel
    him until they see how well his show works following Colbert. So that gives him a while to righten the ship before
    its too late.

10. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Incorrect. Ferguson lasted 10 years.

11. wyatt

wyatt Member

Corden's Late Late Show is considered a smash hit in the industry, don't expect any adjustments.

Why? Internet bragging rights. The networks no longer look at Late Night ratings as their measuring stick, they look at digital audience ratings...how many hashtags, viral videos, youtube followers, etc. can a show generate? In his Rolling Stone interview, Letterman admitted frustration that he couldn't play the modern game, nothing he did could generate the digital presence of Kimmel and Fallon (or even Corden). By digital presence measurement, Corden is crushing Seth Meyers, and delivering exactly what CBS wants. As matter of fact, Corden's show last Wednesday (with Beiber) generating 10x more internet traffic than Dave's retirement show.

But it is a different world, those of us with a habit of sitting down and watching an entire late night show are irrelevant now. This is sort of like the old single vs. album approach the music...the single is back in favor.

I find Corden's show unwatchable (Ferguson was a favorite of mine). I'll miss Dave but I am looking forward to Colbert; I think he's smart, irreverent and will build a solid 60 minute show.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  12. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

13. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

I don't get Corden and I don't get the benefit of digital audience ratings. How do they translate to $$, the ultimate measure of success? What's the advertising angle, etc. etc. ?

14. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Nailed it.

15. wyatt

wyatt Member

[​IMG]

No one watches live TV anymore, even cable ratings are crumbling...if you remove the time shifted viewing from late night shows, their ratings are a square root of what they once were...networks are awkwardly trying to position themselves for a modern method of piecemeal content consumption without killing the current cash cows.

The issue is not making profit now...it's making sure they aren't on the outside looking in if/when the affiliate system implodes.

A-Bone likes this.
  16. micycle

micycle Member

Granted I haven't really watched more than 5 minutes (still heartbroken over Craig and Geoff and now Dave being gone) it seemed to me like they're trying to replace a goofball with an accent (an awesome one at that) with another goofball with an accent. It would have been nice if they took another route.

It's so weird having nothing to turn to at 11:30! There's Kimmel - I do enjoy his sidewalk bits and pranks but find him hard to watch otherwise. Everything comes to an end eventually but after 30 years of Dave it's hard to get used to anyone else so I've thrown in the towel on regular late night viewing. Dust, wind, dude.

17. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

Since I never saw Craig Ferguson, I can't comment on his replacement who is even more unknown. Ferguson has/had a show?

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

He's at the very least a LOT better than Craig Ferguson ever was. I like having all the guests on at the same time. That way you don't get three people in a row plugging their latest product....you get some interaction. There's a BBC talk show, the Graham Norton Show, that is set up that way.

19. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I haven't seen the show since he started, but I like him in The Wrong Mans..