CRaig's list scams?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lammy, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Lammy

Lammy Member

I got 2 emails inquiring about a guitar i had posted on CL, and then their responses both requested me to hold the guitar and wait for a money order and even "offered to throw in 20 dollars to hold it" . Both want to pickup the guitar in person, whats the scam?
    Am i paranoid?

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

phony MOs... every ad I've ever posted on Craigslist resulted in 10 scams for every 1 legitimate inquiry.

3. Clrtxf

Clrtxf Member

also they'll send you money orders for a bunch of extra cash and after you send their extra money back the check bounces on you.

4. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

Guaranteed it's a scam. Never fall for the money order or check tricks when dealing on Craigslist. Stay local and only accept cash. There are so many scammers that prey on Craigslist sellers. If you get a response to your ad like the ones you got, just don't even respond.

5. Lammy

Lammy Member

Just ran into my neighbour who got scammed BAD like that. He was selling a pinball machine converted into a coffee table, ridiculous. jerks!

6. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Cash and local. No exceptions, ever. Stick to those rules and CraigsList can be very rewarding.

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

yes, tho' you still have to deal with the clueless tire kickers who make apointments & don't show up, or show up and weren't really interested (casing your house for a burglary?), or think that your price is a mere suggestion at retail price, to be bargained down by 50% or so.

I'm not a big Craigslist fan thus far. On any gear deal I will meet the buyer at my local Starbucks, they don't get to know/see where I live.

8. straightblues

straightblues Member

On the flip side, Often I will see an ad on Craigslist for something that I want bad and the price is low. I email them and call them and tell them I will pay you an extra $25 if you hold it for me until I can get to the bank and to their house with cash. I uasually ask them to hold it an hour or two. I live in LA and people watch the Craigslist like hawks. If something come on at a good price, it is gone quickly.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've sold stuff on Craiglist and shipped it out of state. As long as you're careful about it it can be safe. The scams aren't that hard to spot.

10. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

+ 1,000

Here is my method:

1.) Set up a dedicated email used only for Craigslist transactions. Never give them your personal email.
    2.) Always use cell phone for the initial personal contact - never give out your home phone and address until you have verified potential buyers as being locals.
    3.) Buy and sell locally - seller and buyer (or his agent) meet face-to-face. No shipping!
    4.) Cash only! No Checks, no MOs. There are ATMs are all over the place, the buyer should have no trouble withdrawing money from their account.
    5.) Shake hands and say goodbye.

Any deviation will likely spell trouble.

11. auraelux

auraelux Member

Perfect

12. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

6.) Make sure a big friend is there with you.

13. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

+ 1

14. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

i get people sending me emails all the time for CL items...wanting my name, phone, address, full asking price....bunch of bull!!!

15. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Unless the item is too large to transport readily, meet them at a shopping mall where there is lots of activity. I make it a point of giving my cell and arriving early, doing some errands and if they fail to show up, the stuff is still in my trunk and I got my errands done regardless.

16. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Good rules posted. If any buyer has a qualm with that, threaten to put the guitar on the gearpage.