Craigslist Google Voice Scam... I dodged this one.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by standard24, Dec 16, 2018.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

A guy texted me about an amp I have for sale. He wrote "I want to buy your amp. Can I Call or text you.?" First thing I noticed was that the area code was different from this area. I called his phone number and got some Google connect thing. I hung up, and texted him "Sure, call me."

The he texted me... "Many getting agry for spamming and robotic text or call. So any code send me tell you the right code i confirm you not a robot, then i will talk to you"

"Did you get the code?so give me first"

Me... "Nope. My number is in the ad. Call me."
    Him... i sent 6 digit code show me right code please then i will call you now
    Me... "My number is in the ad."
    Him... "You have a code ? so give me first, then we can talk on the phone"
    Me... "It sold."

I don't know why my "scammer antenna" wasn't up, but I googled and found this description. I should have picked up on his grammar.

If I could, I'd send him a computer virus like AIDS or Ebola.

Hi everyone. Just wanted to give a heads up about this scam that was new to me. Please let me know if I've posted incorrectly.

I posted some furniture on Craigslist. Got a text from someone claiming to be interested, and they asked if they could call right away. They said to please accept their call, and type in a two-digit code to connect with them (they texted me the code).

Well, it turns out the call comes from Google Voice, and the two-digit code links MY phone number to the scammer's google voice number. (I think the scammer's end game is to use their google voice number to scam more people, and when anyone tries to call back to complain, they get forwarded to my phone number. So it enables the scammer to hide).

I fell for it. Luckily there is a remedy, which is to go to voice.google.com. If you've already got a GV number, go to settings, add new linked number. It will prompt you to enter the phone number you WANT to link to your GV# (your own). It will send you a verification code to enter. Once you enter the code, it will let you know that your number is currently linked to another GV# (the scammer's, presumably), and do you want to reclaim it? YES, you do! Reclaiming your own number will remove it from the Scammer's GV account.

If you don't already have a GV account, you'll have to set one up, then link your phone number to it.

Do the fix as soon as you can after being scammed, so that the scammer doesn't have time to make a lot of calls forwarded to you.

Here's where I found out about it: https://archive.fo/7isfZ

Sheesh! Scammers!

TheHumanAbstract and FenderTone like this.
  2. ffoont

ffoont Member

It never ends with these a-holes, does it? Anyway thanks for the heads up.

HaroldBrooks likes this.
  3. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

I think small companies, usually in 3rd world countries, actually employ people to develop scamming ideas and operate them. I remember reading about it. If my phone shows a number I don't recognize, I simply won't answer. Probably miss business opportunities, but I just can't deal with scams.

4. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Perhaps the key here is Google. Might they have some role and blame in allowing this sort of thing?

5. HaroldBrooks

HaroldBrooks Member

I wouldn't worry that much about missing anything. Far too many scammers and time wasters out there. Avoiding them has become a necessary skill, so you should sharpen your skills at recognizing these creeps, and never be afraid of erring on the side of caution even if you think it feels like the fringe of paranoia.

Remember, the best Con Artists use a manipulation that starts with the premise that you are just being paranoid or unfriendly if you don't go along with them, or anti-social by not taking their calls. Show them no mercy, but don't waste time engaging either. The best to do is avoid, as you indicated.

PLX and Bob Maximus like this.
  6. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Good luck with giving out your phone # on Craigslist :bonk

Dave M and standard24 like this.
  7. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

I think most of my customers are wise to text / email only. I too get a sh*tload of calls from unknown out of state numbers that don't get answered.
    I guess the sheer volume of those calls should be no surprise when you realize how many individuals have this as their 9 to 5 jobs. Grrr

Bob Maximus and sundog964 like this.
  8. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

I still don’t understand why anyone does that. Email relay works fine.

Paleolith54, Dave M and Totally Bored like this.
  9. Seymour Cash

Seymour Cash Supporting Member

I put "PLEASE CALL! WILL NOT REPLY TO TEXTS' in all my ads. And, then I don't reply to texts. I block the number if they send more than one text. Done.

FiestaRed likes this.
  10. standard24

standard24 Member

Yeah, I realize that putting my phone number out there invites problems. But I also believe I'm able to complete Craigslist sales by using it. I've had people whose GPS missed my location and a call clears it up. Also, discussing a sale by text message requires a minimum of 80,000 texts, rather than just one call.

11. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

I’ve never had a problem selling stuff on Craigslist, and I’ve only provided my number to someone once. That was due to be item being too large to transport to the local police station parking lot where I’ve sold everything else. Their email relay has always worked fine

12. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

Same here, but have only done so after the preliminaries were worked out via email and I was reasonably confident I was dealing with a normal person.