Craigslist rant No. 1,200,345,245,346

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Teleking, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I'm really puzzled by the offers I get when I sell stuff on Craigslist.

A guy just offered me half of what I was asking for an item, difference is $600 and then says "would you take $600 if I pay cash?"

I'm asking $1200, original sale price was $2400. It's in excellent and probably mint condition.

But it's the "cash" that has me flabbergasted. Do these people think I'm taking a check from them? Do they think I have my own personal credit card charging system? Do people today take checks from complete strangers in these situations?

If someone pays "cash" does that automatically give them the clearance to insult the seller by offering half of a very reasonable asking price?

Public Service Announcement to those who offer "cash" prices on Craigslist. My guess is the vast majority of people selling anything on Craigslist assumes you'll be paying in cash. In fact, my guess is 99 percent or more will insist you pay in cash.

Sorry, I'm working on my taxes right now, so I'm a bit grumpy and then this offer came through. Just had to rant. I'll get back to finding out how much the government will screw me instead.

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Why are you "insulted" by a low offer? We are in a recession, guitars are luxury goods, they have no "inherent" value beyond what people value them at in the current economy, there are some items that will not hold their value. as for the Cash thing, I am sure some people take checks on craigslist in order to get payment, and some might offer a discount for cash offers, sometimes showing up with cash in hand and a guaranteed sale will get a person a discount, it is not completely unheard of.

3. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I'm not insulted by low offers, I just turn them down. And I would NEVER take a personal check from someone I don't know.

Peace,

4. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

It never occured to me to transact business on craigslist with anything -but- cash. Wtf?!? It is the modern day equivalent of dealing through the want ads of the local paper.

5. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I didn't see where the OP stated the item was a "Guitar"? Is that implied because it's posted here?

Anyway.....the "value" premise is not fully accurate, if in fact the proposed buyer intends to "flip" the item/guitar, thereby recognizing a higher value, yet hoping the seller is in a situation that he's forced to sell.

6. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Yes, who would accept anything other than cash on a CL sale??!?

Idiot, low-ball offers happen all the time on CL. My email has a "delete" thing I can click and I do, frequently.

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I have used a US Postal Money Order before for a craigslist deal. I met the guy at the post office and got the cash right away.

Good luck with your sale and your taxes.

dk

8. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I feel your pain man. I wanted to start a Craigslist rant but it would take a novels worth of text to fit everything in.

9. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Yes and no, people trade in their cars to dealers for ease because they want cash now, and the dealer is willing to sit on the car to get more cash later. Seems no different, you can always hold out for more money, try ebay or some other retailer, but I guess I never understand why people think their old stuff is worth some inherent amount, it is worth what someone else is willing to pay. If you have it priced fairly and there is demand, it should sell quickly, if you are getting lots offers you deem "low ball" and it is sitting a while you may want to reconsider what you are pricing it at. But in any event, there is no consensus on what old stuff is worth except in the sense that you find someone willing to buy it.

10. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

How's that work? Why didn't he just pay you? Or was he needing to use a CC so he bought the money order handed it to you and you cashed it?

11. chequepoint

chequepoint Member

Yeah the cash thing is always infuriating to me as well.. how did you think you were going to pay me? Gold? Jewels? I have had MULTIPLE offers of people trying to trade me guns for guitars.

Lets see.. you and I are going to meet in a parking lot somewhere, you'll have guns.. I have a guitar you want.. yeah this is going to end well.

Craigslist buyers want a discount and a trophy for offering to pay with "Cash Today". It's hilarious. With small businesses you can often negotiate a cash discount, because their merchant process would take a % on the transaction if you used a card.. and if it's a small enough shop.. Cash never hits the books so they won't have to pay tax on it.. But on Craigslist? WTF

12. korby

korby Member

Yep half is better than nothing . Folks got to eat and pay mortgage .

13. Polyester

Polyester Member

I just assume it's cash, since that's how the Craigslist world works.

Really the problem is the idiot lowballers who offer a fraction of your (already much-reduced) asking price, usually accompanied by some snotty comments like "dude your thing isn't worth close to that much, so I'll give you $600 for it". Seems like they must lowball just about every ad in existence hoping some sucker will say OK and they'll score something for pennies on the dollar.

Moral of the story: craigslist is full of idiots and the occasional reasonable person. Buyer (and seller) beware.

14. Teleking

Are we really in recession? I didn't know that. Really, things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them? I didn't know that.

Some people actually take checks from strangers they don't know, I didn't know that.

Thanks for your helpful thoughts.

15. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Glad I could help out, because your OP certainly did not indicate you had a firm grasp on these concepts. ;)

16. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

BUT -- it's also free (for most ads) with an extremely targeted audience by category, and has a brilliant user interface.

I'm willing to put up with a whole lot of idiotic low-ball offers, and email-harvesting spam mail, in return. :)

17. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

Tell him you'll give him half the guitar. ;)

18. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I dont see why people get upset by lowball offers.

Case in point...

Me: underemployed recent college graduate (have a good job now)

Guy: He was selling a pair of klipsch chorus II speakers. That were in different colors and wood veneers (one was piano gloss black, one was brown stain woodgrain). Otherwise, they were in good condition. He had them for $650 (normal if the finishes matched each other in this condition).

I contacted him to see about the speakers, although I didnt have anywhere near the budget. He told me he was moving to california in three weeks and didnt have the space for them.

I called him the day he was moving, and offered $175. He accepted and I got the speakers. He needed the cash. I had $200 to may name, although I was getting paid in a couple days.

You never know if someone is selling stuff because the mob is going to break their legs in an hour if they dont pay up, or if they are selling stuff just to make space.

If someone needs cash, it is a jerk move to talk them down. But if you are the only person talking to them, and are willing to part with some amount...

Your item was $2400 new, and $1200 is probably a good number normally. But was your email box and phone being flooded with buyers at $1200?

Guy offers you $600, maybe he is trying to low ball, or maybe he only has $600 to spend. Doesn't seem offensive to me.

When I've sold stuff and gotten low offers, I reply back with something like "Sorry, don't need to sell it THAT bad"

19. Teleking

Thank you, Mr. Helper.

20. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Sorry my opinion offended you so much. :dunno I will remember that if I want to post I better agree completely with the OP. :aok