Craigslist:RARE 1955 Les Paul Gibson with Birdseye Maple Top

Slashtone

It could be real. I've seen a pic on the Internet of an early 50s Goldtop with the gold paint stripped. Underneath, it was a 3-piece top - one piece was plain, one piece was flamed, and one piece was blister. Unbelievable.

clint

It's possible that it's real but it would have been a goldtop. Looks like it has other issues, too. Maybe had a Bigsby at one time (I don't think Gibson used trapeze tailpieces in '55 if that's the actual year). Assuming it's real and has original parts I'd still consider it a cool players guitar. Way overpriced at $35k.

zacmac

This is from an overpriced national dealer at last weekends Spartanburg SC show. I like his line "priced for quick sell $35K". I think he had a big glass of Delusion-aide for breakfast

12805647643_1e15c8951a_c.jpg

strings777

I'm fairly certain all they offered was a gold top with those pickups, and a black custom in 1955. If that is real, someone probably stripped the gold top finish off, and was lucky to find some nice birdseye maple underneath. Too bad it's not bookmatched though.

67mike

Ya, wow, amazing how the bottom falls out of the market when the rich kids start buying Gold and priceless paintings...LOL.

SPROING!

Looks legit but definitely a refinish. Those offset seams look ridiculous to me. Shoulda left it gold. Not all maple tops are candidates for a clear finish. This is one.

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
If its real it looks like a refin where the gold top was stripped. The non symetrical top seam is a dead giveaway.

guitarnut_1

Selling a guitar like this on CL is kinda quirky me thinks.... and crappy pics on top of that

Could very well be real thou

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Gold Supporting Member
Stuff in that price range needs to be at Gruhn's, Mandolin Bros, or another bona-fide vintage dealer. (Not that the price is realistic for a "player" but that's another issue, LOL). Who drops $35k on ebay for a vintage instrument in a world full of fakes that require an expert's eye to discern?

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
hmm, 35 large for a stripped goldtop on CL? Of course it is legit. Hold on a second, let me get my listing of a bridge in Brooklyn for y'all to check out as long as we're all here.

blues

Silver Supporting Member
The comment its all original except for one of the knobs is not true. You can see the plugged holes from what may be the original tailpiece.

bootsypratt

This is from an overpriced national dealer at last weekends Spartanburg SC show. I like his line "priced for quick sell $35K". I think he had a big glass of Delusion-aide for breakfast

12805647643_1e15c8951a_c.jpg

I know that guy, he owns a pawn shop in Columbia. He is actually a good dude and is pretty fair.

blues

Silver Supporting Member
It's a cool looking Les Paul, but I agree that it's a little overpriced.

A little? Thats alot for what it is.

The guy lied in the add to start with.

He would have been better off refinishing back to a gold top to sell the guitar.

Red flags with that guitar.

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
If you look close it seems like there are 5 plugged holes, 3 for what might be an old Maestro trem and the other two are too far away for tailpiece studs, maybe some other part of the trem????

The comment its all original except for one of the knobs is not true. You can see the plugged holes from what may be the original tailpiece.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom