Cranked Amp: What do you expect?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nolatone Ampworks, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

Hey folks,

Just doing a "survey":

This most applies to high end/boutique type amps.

What do you expect from an amp when the volume (non-mv amp) or gain and volume are cranked all the way up?

Are you forgiving if you get wierd behavior like unmusical feedback, oscillations, some sizzley/fizziness around the overdrives sound, etc?

I've played many high end boutique amps and many/most give up something unflattering if you dime 'em completely, even if it calms down nicely when you back off just a tad.

I'd enjoy your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Paul

2. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

3. dstroud

dstroud Member

The amps I currently have sound great when totally cranked (plexi clone, JCM800, Egnater, Peavey Classic 30 and 50) - other amps I've had in the past (Mesa DC3, Single Rectifier, Marshall DSL 100) did not benefit from being cranked. I defnitely like the amps that sound good cranked - to me that's a better sound and feel than the amps whose tone kinda falls apart the louder they get.

edit - to answer your question, I just expect what the amp gives. If I got oscillations, strange feedback, etc... I wouldn't consider that acceptable.

4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

+1000!

Although I have experienced some weird behavior also in the past.

5. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

All 3 of my boutique, non-mv amps sound good with the volume about 1-2 o'clock. That seems to be the sweet spot.

6. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I've never had an amp I liked dimed... Of course I don't think I've dimed an amplifier in 20 years.

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I try to find the amps' sweetspot...the only amp I own that sounds best dimed is my Quidley

8. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I get what I expect from my Victoria Regal II.

Assuming the guitar is full on, I expect and get black face cleans to about 11 o'clock. The loudness depends on the power tubes I have in it. Beyond 11, the amp starts to thicken then to break up at about 1:30 or so. The breakup continues in a musical way right up to maxed out. It's most in your face with EL-34s and smoother with 6V6s. A combination of tubes is like re-voicing and having a different amp in one package.

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

IMO, there are not many amps that sound great all on "10".

The only ones that can pull it off are early Marshall Plexi/JMP style amps.

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I have played only a few amps that sound good dimed. The one I always max out on both channels is the Twilighter (magnatone) 260. Interactive volumes. It sounds best that way. The Gibson GA40 gets dimed on one channel, close to it on the other. In both cases, the guitar volume is usually not all the way up.

Most others -- boutique, vintage, under the radar cool or whatever -- get a little out of control dimed.

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If its a MV just crank the master and slowly bring up the gain. You cant dime them both-well you can but they usually sound terrible. I can get some pretty fat old school grind that way even from my less expensive amps. Bob

12. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I've owned like five of the handwired Reinhardt amps and they all sound fantastic cranked. What you will get is the Marshall howl along with ghost ect. notes associated with early Marshalls, but with a little more character. Bob's amps bark and howl distinctively allowing you to stand out in a band like crazy. I never got buried in a band playing through a Reinhardt.

13. 56_Special

56_Special Member

This is a weird response. Do you expect blackface cleans if the amps is based on a tweed design or if its a Marshall style amp? My Clark 5E3 or my Reeves Custom Lead don't have blackface cleans at 11 o'clock. They don't have them at any volume. Both are very well overdriven by 1:30. That would be unacceptable to you?

In regards to the OP's question, I've never owned an amp whose sweet spot was wide open. So I guess I don't care if it sounds amazing, but I would be a little disturbed if the amp was totally misbehaving.

14. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

That's my M.O. as well.

15. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

What do you expect from an amp when the volume (non-mv amp) or gain and volume are cranked all the way up?

Great punch, sustain , bloom from another planet. all providing I have a decent distance from the amp.

Are you forgiving if you get wierd behavior like unmusical feedback, oscillations, some sizzley/fizziness around the overdrives sound, etc?

somewhat, I will work with the amp to solve the issue and hope I can get close to the end result of dimed amp.
    ------

I hardly ever crank amps all the way up. only for short periods of time IF the tone/character I want is there. Most of the time it isn't.

16. Belmont

Belmont Member

I have small amps 5-12w that sound good cranked,but the bigger the amp the worst it sounds to me,I think the diming of a 100w amp thing is mostly myth,even plexi's get mushy and sound choked.

17. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

I think my twin reverb sounds awesome dimed.....well all but the treble..... I scared the **** out of my old bandmates once by doing that.... they'd all left to use the bathroom or something and while they were out I cranked it up and backed off my volume pedal..... when they walked in... volume swell and giant E major chord of DEATH. They were literally running out of the room.... screaming..... hands over ears...... looks of horror on their faces..... wonderful... I cherish that memory....

I am an asshole. :banana sounds absolutely wonderful (with earplugs in of course!)

18. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I've never been a fan of a truely dimed amp. I've owned mostly MV amps but have a few nice NMV's that are very highly thought of. The NMV amps also have a tube rectifier. They sound great cranked, but only up to a point IMO. After that they get flubby. For single note work its fine, but too flubby and fuzzish IMO for rhythm crunch work, which I do a lot of. Thats with the guitar volume up high, too.

I would like to try a good NMV amp with a solid state rect. to see if I still feel the same. For me, MV or NMV I like the volume up about half depending on style and pickup type mostly to retain some tightness. Enough to get the powersection going but not too much as to avoid the flub and fuzz. Seems the distortion doesn't increase that much, only the artifacts and squishyness.

19. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I think my T-Rex sounds best fully cranked!

20. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Totally agree! Of course it's slightly different for different amps, but if people are having problems with an amp dimed, it's more than likely not dialed in right or not that nice of an amp . (i.e. it might have issues) I have many kinds of amps that sounds perfect dimed, although most of mine are too loud for me or any gig I do that way. Also , with many of my non-master amps you'll need to turn the bass down and crank up the mids and treble once the amp'd dimed to sound its best..

Eric

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008