Cranked Tone at Bedroom Level (clip!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by billybogner, Apr 21, 2008.

1. billybogner

billybogner Member

Hey guys, I don't post much here, but I put this up on some other sites and it was suggested to me that I put it up here.

I've never done one like this before, but I heard a couple guys do it and I thought it was cool. I'm on the left with 3 hacks backing me up on the right.

Disclaimer: The solo isn't note4note, but pretty close for 2 hours worth of work. [​IMG]

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6477734&q=hi

Oh, forgot to mention that it was recorded at bedroom level. My wife was watching tv in the next room and said she could barely hear it...or, barely stand it. Something like that.

2. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Very cool. What setup did you use?

3. Wayne

Wayne Member

Hey, that was a fun clip and I enjoyed your playing. Very nice tones for bedroom levels.

4. billybogner

billybogner Member

Thanks guys. The set up was:
    PRS SC > Duncan Pickup Booster > Mojave Peacemaker > Hotplate (set to load) > FX Return of a Mesa Studio.22 1x12 Combo

The boost was set about half way up, with the eq switch in the up position.
    All knobs on the PM on 10, except Bass on 5 and Bass Volume off. Low input. NO POWER DAMPENING.
    I used the line out of the PM into the fx return of the Mesa. Only the Presence and the Graphic EQ work when you use the fx return.
    Mesa has a V30.

The key (in addition to all that) was the eq on the Mesa and using 2 mics.
    On the eq, I dumped 2.2K, maxed 6.6K and the others were relatively flat.
    I put SM57 right above the dust cover of the speaker (should've moved that just a tad) and I put a Rode NT1000 behind the open back of the Mesa combo. That mic picked up a lot of bass and sizzle without having to turn the bass up too much. It kept the tone tighter in the low end.

The tone by itself isn't superb, it's kinda thin and bright. But in the mix it seems to work. By using a good power amp and a couple 4x12 and getting the volume up, that would be best!

5. billybogner

billybogner Member

Thanks, infact it was so quiet that you can hear the pick hitting the strings on the track with the mic behind the amp!

6. Dave

Dave Member

Well done, wow!

7. 3th3r

3th3r Member

Bedroom volume? Really? It sounded great!

8. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Did you somehow remove the original guitar track? If so, pretty damn good. Good job playing the part.:AOK

9. johnc

johnc Member

That sounded incredible! I would have never guessed it was recorded at that low of a volume. Great job!

10. billybogner

billybogner Member

Thanks Guys. Yeah, old Van Halen was recorded with the guitars panned hard left and the bass panned hard right (for the most part). Anyway, I imported the CD track into Protools and just used the right side. It has Bass, Drums, Vocals, and some of the delays and reverbs off the guitar but no actual guitar.

11. billybogner

billybogner Member

Yeah, it was so low you can actually hear the pick hitting the strings on one of the tracks.

12. major

major Member

How did you remove Eddie? Are you considering his positon?? LOL! Your style was spot on. I don't know the song and if I didn't know you did this , really I would say that's VanHalen. Great tone, man So what gear did you use to take the guitar out?

13. digital jams

digital jams Member

Nice job Mark!

Slaving never stops to amaze me with what you can get at such low volumes, I can make my MK IV sound like I have a sustainer active the hang time is so stupid :roll

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

Enjoyed that ! :)

15. billybogner

billybogner Member

The majority of old VH records have all the guitars (except some overdubed solos) panned hard left and the bass panned hard right. IF you listen to just the right side, theres no guitar in it. So, I just imported the CD track into Protools, but only used the right side. Then just played along and panned my tracks hard left.:banana

16. sled

sled Member

great job, enjoyed that and the gtr sounded very good.

17. cram

cram Member

hah!! in college we covered that tune. one of my favs from vh for sure. sounded good

18. billybogner

billybogner Member

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

19. richey88

richey88 Member

To agree with you, it did sound kinda thin at work headphone volume. I cranked it at home and it SMOKED!!! I would guess that your fingers have a lot to do with it too, one of my fav EVH solos. YOU TOTALLY NAILED IT!!! ROCK ON!!

20. billybogner

billybogner Member

Wait wait wait - are you a proponent of tone is in the fingers??!!!? So am I, with this situation:

2 guys, taking turns, playing the same guitar / amp setup will sound different. The argument has been made that "the open A string hit by both guys will sound identical" which may, or may not, be true - guys do attack strings differently - but, the overall tone is a combination of:jo

What in the hell am I doing!!?:messedup

Hey, in all seriousness, thatnks for the compliment!