Crap. Possible busted truss rod.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mad Wombat, Jun 12, 2019.

1. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

You seem nice, your advice is probably correct, and I’m giving you a hard time over this but if people can’t ask questions about guitars in this guitar forum then what’s the point of the forum? I’ll give you some examples:

• Honda forum: user asks, “where’s the dipstick on my engine located, I’m getting a rough ride and think I’m low on oil?” You: take it to Honda, I’m amazed at how many people come on this Honda forum with a question expecting us to read their minds and fix their problem. Honda can tell you in 5 seconds where that is and in 10 seconds tell you if you’re low on oil.
    • StackOverflow (programming) forum question: “I can’t get my ViewController to segue to my home screen, the call to prepare seems lost”. You: “take it to the PhDs at Stanford, I’m amazed how many people come on here with a question expecting us to read their minds and fix their coding issues. Stanford guys can diagnose that in a second and write the code in 15.”
    People are curious and want to understand how things work and come here for information. Don’t shoot em down for using the forum how it’s meant to be used!

Again, giving you a hard time, you didn’t seem malicious and your advice is sound but keep this in mind....even I’m interested in what people think can solve this guys problem! It’s not even my guitar!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Scary Uncle G. and Da Geezer like this.
  2. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

I have no issue with people asking questions and learning, that’s a huge part of what forums are all about!

I just mean that for someone with an issue looking for a real resolution, the quickest way to really get something fixed properly is to take it to a tech. In many cases the person has already tried a few things to fix the problem (often making it worse and more costly to fix when they do finally take it to someone qualified), and someone who isn’t super knowledgeable in working on guitars could continue making it worse by following random suggestions online made by people who also may not know what they’re talking about...since the best we can do without actually examining the guitar ourselves is throw guesses up against the wall and hope something sticks.

So I’m not trying to discourage discourse at all, just trying to prevent nice folks like the OP from ending up with a much bigger bill :).

johnnyb128 likes this.
  3. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Isn't that a biflex rod? They can rattle at the null point.

monty and Scary Uncle G. like this.